The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo Spooling Sound

Specter

Okay this might be the most dumb question! sometimes the turbo makes a spooling sound and sometimes it doesnt. Whats the reason? It has happend at wot as well as cruising speed. I get boost in both situation with no noticeable differences. No oil leaks, no missing nothing unusual

gvr4ever

I can hear the noise from the intake, but if the turbo makes a noise, it's usually a sign of wear. My first turbo made a high pitched noise, but it failed too.

I think he maybe talking about the sound of it actualy spooling. The Air rush sound which is normal. .That sound makes me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, Just be more specific on the sound.

Specter

Yes the air rush sound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I sometimes hear it sometimes its quiet. Why? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

prove_it

if your cruising and give it about 50% throttle, you will spool the stock turbo. However your not pushing that much air and thus it's quieter, when you go wot your moving way more air so the sound it louder.
It's a pressure and CFM thing. You can make high pressure at low CFM and at high CFM. It's under high CFM flow that you hear the actual sound.
My two cents anyway.

Armitage

You may have a boost leak that you only hear sometimes? A leak can sometimes emphasize the sound of the turbo spooling as you get pressure whooshing out of the system.

gmp

click
Like This you wanna get that "woooop wooooop" noise it's tight foo....

Specter

Quoting prove_it:
if your cruising and give it about 50% throttle, you will spool the stock turbo. However your not pushing that much air and thus it's quieter, when you go wot your moving way more air so the sound it louder.

Yes but why sometimes, there is no spooling sound at wot. Thats my main query. Although im getting good boost, there is no wooshing sound sometimes at wot. Why?

prove_it

Cause you are breathing through a MAF with a mile of rubber pipe. I don't really have a good answer, my car does the same, sometimes you can hear it, sometimes not.

Maybe just maybe it has to do with the turbo already spinning fast enough to only need to spool a few thousand rpms at times. Like make a pull and slow down the turbo will still be spinning fast, but no pressure, but make a pull after idling for a bit and the turbo has to spin up more for a longer period of time..... so you hear it then????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
I have no idea. I don't think you have a problem though.

Specter

I tried pulling it after long idling also haha..yeah i know i do not have a problem but was just curious as to why its happening. Good to know that your car does the same. Mite be a boost leak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

prove_it

Nope I tested mine and cleaned all the stock fittings and sealed them last weekend.

MellowVR4

mine does that too, and i have an external dump on a big16g, sometimes you here it, sometimes not. i have no idea why, ive ben trying to figuer this out as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

prove_it

I'm sure you can hear an external dump all the time, but I bet it's other sounds that drown that sound out and you don't notice it.

Also it depends on the sound reverberance off the road or buildings that could be near by.

MellowVR4

i mean i can hear the turbo sound anything before i hit 10psi sometimes, anything after that is all dump

prove_it

Yep sounds about right for a 14b with stock piping. It's a little turbo and the pipes soak up a lot of the sound. Build a custom front mount or get an ETS kit and run a 3" GM Maf or speed density. Then you will hear it.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Is your window sometimes up, and other times down?

JK

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned