The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo rebuild question

slobra

I bought an E3 16G for fairly cheap that has shaftplay. Its not hitting the housing or anything but it has more shaftplay then I'm comfortable with.

Are there rebuild kits out there to eliminate the shaft play or am I better off just buying a new turbo?

Barnes

If the turbine and comp wheel aren't messed up, you could send it to ForcedPerformance and have them rebuild it. You have to have it balanced, so you can't really do it yourself.

Terry Posten

I had a e3 unit rebiult at TurboAuto out of Nashville for around $100.

It looked brand new and was fully balenced.

Might want to start with a fully tested unit.

slobra

That settles it, I'll call around a couple places and see who rebuilds and who doesn't.

Thanks guys!

ktmrider

There are quite a few rebuild kits, many on Egay, for around $50 or so. Find one for the 16g style turbo ( also works for the 14b ).
If you don't have to replace either of the wheels ( seals and thrust plates only ) and you mark the original location of the wheels on the shaft it "theoretically" does not require a re-balance. Great writeup on the VFAQ too.
The $100 rebuild TP posted sounds like a great deal.

I wouldn't just go by who has the cheapest kit or service if you want a quality rebuild that will last.

slobra

I wasn't going to base my rebuild on price just location. If I can just take it to one of the local places in Jersey or Pa or Md I'll do that, if not I'll just send it out. I'm not sure who around here rebuilds turbos.

H05TYL

Quoting ktmrider:

If you don't have to replace either of the wheels ( seals and thrust plates only ) and you mark the original location of the wheels on the shaft it "theoretically" does not require a re-balance. Great writeup on the VFAQ too.

That's what I did, several years later still going strong.

524of1000

If it has alot of shaft play check the shaft to make sure it's not bent. You may have to replace the turbine like I did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts