The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TURBO OPINION?

And to think this was the brightest post he's contributed to this thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Who me? i hope i didnt start a half a@# topic. i have learned some interesting things about a few turbo options though

Not at all. My post was not directed to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

cOmpressor

Sorry my copy/paste doesn't work so I can't sound smart like you.

To the OP, if money isn't a problem then I suggest you look into Bullseye's S300 series. Give them a call and you can find out everything you want to know, they are a very helpful family run business.

This is sad... I pasted what I said a few minutes before in a pm response.

jdjxr, you have a motor that can handle a gt35r, s362, hx40, sc6152. I would certainly opt for a larger turbo than the hx35 or 50-trim. You'll want more later and you'll have the build. And it seams that you don't mind the late powerband. You'll have a great pumpgas setup.

EDIT: Which exhaust manifold do you already have or are looking at?

Wow thank you for the very direct and simple answer. Thats all that I was looking for. I have the factory intake manifold ported and the Evo 3 exhaust manifold, all gasket matched. I am pretty sure that I should go with a tubular exhaust manifold and eventually a nicer intake manifold correct? And you are correct. I dont mind having my power band at around 4k. If it really gets to annoy me all that is is a cam swap.

A cam swap is an option. But there are reasons to keep the 280s.

For one, a higher duration lowers the helmholtz resonance rpm match for a given runner length. 272s and fp2/fp2x cams have a 2nd harmonic (very good) at about 7000rpms with the stock 1g/GVR4 runner length and area. 280s will put that strong harmonic even lower because a later effective valve close angle lowers the rpm resonant point for a given runner. If you sift through the white noise concerning helmholtz resonance and boost, you will find that PR doesn't affect velocity of sound and that even the Porsche 911 gt2 uses the troughs (negative pulses) of the waves to cool the aircharge on a boosted v6 motor. See here and here for a little about Porsche's "expansion-type" manifold.

As well, from my personal experience tuning a local's car, we were able to have a VERY health midrange and decent spool speed by retarding the exhaust cam timing a few degrees and made a power band very similar to my fp2 cams with the stock intake manifold. If only 280s were available when I bought my cams. Later we could put the cams straight up and had a bit more topend. We went with cam timing to lower the powerband because another aquaintance was able to see the same powerband by doing this with a stock manifold as well. These cams were able to develop more midrange and fell down uptop like the 272s, likely because of the increased overlap which puts exhaust gases in the intake when you're really pushing your turbo (high backpressure). But they didn't fall as flat as I would have thought. Overlap increases midrange and especially spool speed. . . But know that you will have MUCHO lope. Which many like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . If you can tolerate a 1000rpm idle, this will give you the bandaid you need now. And later the cams can be set up for more VE at higher rpms to get the most out of a larger turbo.

EDIT: A good exhaust manifold upgrade will help you through out the rpm range. Perhaps a little more where it's runners match the intake resonance, if you have any noticeable intake resonance.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned