The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TRE or Shep

Kibby

When did jack change around his dsm builds?

4thStroke

When did he add the HD setup? Probably a year ago or so.

He had them long before he listed them. I was exchanging emails about the HD setup with him a couples ago and he already had a few sets out. There's a member on ecmlink.com who kept shredding multiple gear sets with his HTA 3076 E85 setup and Jack's HD set held up for some time. To my knowledge, the gear set never did fail. It is limited to a normal single synchro though, but I'd take that over shredding gears left and right.

Kibby

I already knew about the hd gears. I meant the way his site is now. Its no longer stage builds. Im kinda confused when reading it if I were to decide which to buy

DSSA

Quoting 4thStroke:

He had them long before he listed them. I was exchanging emails about the HD setup with him a couples ago and he already had a few sets out. There's a member on ecmlink.com who kept shredding multiple gear sets with his HTA 3076 E85 setup and Jack's HD set held up for some time. To my knowledge, the gear set never did fail. It is limited to a normal single synchro though, but I'd take that over shredding gears left and right.

The "HD" gear set are the same "HD" gears that are everyone else has been running since the late 90s.

There are two versions of the "HD" 3-4 gear setups that work in these cars (excluding going to the dual cone Evo setup).

The "HD" version as everyone who sells them refers to them as, are simply either the early 91 model (06/90-05/91 production date) or the late 91 through 92 models (06/91 through 05/92 production date). After this point, Mitsubishi went with a larger diameter hub/sleeve setup which is also thinner. Larger diameter -->> more effective force on the assembly requiring less input force for the driver. Only problem was, they tended to shatter. Like everyone else requires, if you have a 93+ car, you need the fork and shift rail in order to backdate to this setup.

I'm reasonably certain, he's marketing the early style "HD" gears (06/90-05/91 production) as "Super HD".

If you have a transmission produced from 06/90 through 05/91, you're automatically going to get these gears during a rebuild from anywhere (once again, unless you opt for the Evo setup) as unless you want to pay for a 92+ Intermediate shaft--the gear thickness and angle require them. If you have the 06/91 and up version, the intermediate shaft would need to be changed at the same time in order to run these gears.

My biggest problem with Jack's is some of the "tech" and marketing ("unbreakable stock shift forks", "balance shafts are needed for correct balancing and longevity of the engine", etc.) BS that spews forth.

Everyone has their fans, and everyone has their "success" and "failure" stories.

Hell, I have a customer (who also works in the industry) who killed a couple of Shep transmissions and sent one to us. The one I built him has lasted longer than the Shep transmissions combined, gone 150+ in the 1/4 and 208+mph top speed. Does this mean I'm a better transmission builder than John? I wouldn't claim that in the least. I just correctly assembled it, and got some good (meaning quality control) gearsets through Mitsu. John may have had the bad luck to have gotten a couple of bad ones in the Mitsu bags. Point is, if a gear is weak in some fashion out of the bag and fails, it's not the builder that went wrong.

In the real world, we all use the same parts, and very similar processes. Shep is/was probably one of the highest regarded transmission builders out there. People swore his gears were made of unobtanium. Truth is, up until around 2004, I used to wholesale him all of his transmission parts, at that point, he found a local dealer willing to match my pricing and deliver them to him as opposed to having them shipped. To his credit--the guy didn't screw around and "toss" things together. He was pretty diligent in his assembly and worked for his name.

Point is, don't buy into the hype. Pick a place/person that you're comfortable dealing with, and who you trust to diagnose wear/shortcomings in your core transmission and assemble the new gears into it correctly. You're not getting pixie-dust graced parts anywhere unless you cough up the big bucks for custom gearsets.

Josh

Paddy1337

My personal experience in the Evo world has me currently dropping Shep. First one I got from them was truly great. 2 rebuilds since, and both rebuilds came back shitty from the get go. I have my trans back from TRE now, and I expect great things, as I've never heard a negative thing about his WORK.

To the OP more specifically:
Shep has good customer service, good reputation from years ago that seems to be diminishing as of late
TRE has horrid, horrid, communication, but a reputation for insanely good work
TMZ is an awesome person, great communication, and I've never heard bad things on his work

slowpoke

I had mine done with tim at tmzperformace since he's only 45 minutes from me. Did a great job, turn around time was fast, great guy to deal with. And his pricing is much better than I have seen anywhere else.

thruarod

My TRE failed in pretty short order. I plan on replacing it with a Jacks. Also a friend of mine recently had a Shep trans done for his 1G, you just have to call and ask nicely I guess??

4thStroke

Quoting DSSA:
Quoting 4thStroke:

The "HD" gear set are the same "HD" gears that are everyone else has been running since the late 90s.

There are two versions of the "HD" 3-4 gear setups that work in these cars (excluding going to the dual cone Evo setup).

The "HD" version as everyone who sells them refers to them as, are simply either the early 91 model (06/90-05/91 production date) or the late 91 through 92 models (06/91 through 05/92 production date). After this point, Mitsubishi went with a larger diameter hub/sleeve setup which is also thinner. Larger diameter -->> more effective force on the assembly requiring less input force for the driver. Only problem was, they tended to shatter. Like everyone else requires, if you have a 93+ car, you need the fork and shift rail in order to backdate to this setup.

I'm reasonably certain, he's marketing the early style "HD" gears (06/90-05/91 production) as "Super HD".

If you have a transmission produced from 06/90 through 05/91, you're automatically going to get these gears during a rebuild from anywhere (once again, unless you opt for the Evo setup) as unless you want to pay for a 92+ Intermediate shaft--the gear thickness and angle require them. If you have the 06/91 and up version, the intermediate shaft would need to be changed at the same time in order to run these gears.

My biggest problem with Jack's is some of the "tech" and marketing ("unbreakable stock shift forks", "balance shafts are needed for correct balancing and longevity of the engine", etc.) BS that spews forth.

Everyone has their fans, and everyone has their "success" and "failure" stories.

Hell, I have a customer (who also works in the industry) who killed a couple of Shep transmissions and sent one to us. The one I built him has lasted longer than the Shep transmissions combined, gone 150+ in the 1/4 and 208+mph top speed. Does this mean I'm a better transmission builder than John? I wouldn't claim that in the least. I just correctly assembled it, and got some good (meaning quality control) gearsets through Mitsu. John may have had the bad luck to have gotten a couple of bad ones in the Mitsu bags. Point is, if a gear is weak in some fashion out of the bag and fails, it's not the builder that went wrong.

In the real world, we all use the same parts, and very similar processes. Shep is/was probably one of the highest regarded transmission builders out there. People swore his gears were made of unobtanium. Truth is, up until around 2004, I used to wholesale him all of his transmission parts, at that point, he found a local dealer willing to match my pricing and deliver them to him as opposed to having them shipped. To his credit--the guy didn't screw around and "toss" things together. He was pretty diligent in his assembly and worked for his name.

Point is, don't buy into the hype. Pick a place/person that you're comfortable dealing with, and who you trust to diagnose wear/shortcomings in your core transmission and assemble the new gears into it correctly. You're not getting pixie-dust graced parts anywhere unless you cough up the big bucks for custom gearsets.

Josh

I've heard the "tech BS" about Jack before, so this isn't a surprise. What I've gathered is the stuff he gloats about is the same stuff Shep and TRE have been doing for years, just didn't thrive on it.

Before his site changed, he did put an emphasis on them not being OEM sets and that they are a gearset that nobody else is using. I would buy into this if the price wasn't still so damn "cheap." Now, whether or not the claims are true or not, I'm still on the fence.

As far as keeping the balance shafts go, I'm not entirely convinced that it does not affect harmonics and the transmission's ability to shift via unwanted harmonics through the disc. As far as longevity of the motor, that's a toss up. If the main weak point is the belt breaking, how prone to breaking are these belts exactly? Are they really that much of a liability even if they're replaced on the same schedule as the timing belt? I deleted my balance shafts and my forged motor has lasted 45k and has been through hell. I've never pulled the pan to inspect the bearings as I feel the motor is still healthy and I've been given no good reason to pull the pan other than suspicion. Vibration is not my concern, I'll do whatever it takes to keep the motor together and I was always told the shafts were deleted for the sake that the belt itself was the weak point. I don't buy into keeping the shafts for the sake of the motor, but for the clutch allowing the transmission to shift, I can believe that if the clutch disc truly is vibrating in there. I've seen chunks out of my 6 puck (and twin disc) like Jack says and shows will happen. Is this common even when balance shafts are intact at higher horsepower levels (higher as in 500+ to the wheels)?

I'm really tempted to take a more unconventional rout with my next build to figure out a couple things first hand. Lower compression (I'm at 9:1) and keep the balance shafts. I sometimes feel that a 9:1 and BSD became the norm years ago in an effort to combat worn balance shaft parts and higher compression to help with street manners. I don't build my car for off boost power and I'm interested in comparing lower compression and more boost and timing versus what I have now. But that is for another discussion.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned