The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

transmissions

NickDromez

my transmission is starting to die and im wondering whether there is a different tranny that can swap into the vr4. i see alot of the eagle/talon trannys for sale, and it is an awd turbo 5 speed, that runs off of a 4g63t. so can i take an eagle tranny and put it into my vr4 with no problems?

Barnes

Yes. You can take a AWD 1g Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser (DSM) transmission and put it in the GVR-4 no problem. You will have a slightly shorter 1st gear, but that's about it.

RHDgalantVR4

that's good to know! My trani is on its way out as well by all the crazy pinging noises it makes.

NickDromez

nice, thank you. i think i will go look for a tranny now.

Brunoboy

are you sure its not the fluid?

Brunoboy

Quoting TRBODSM:
You have to do slight mods to get a 90 trans in there but the 91-94 is a direct fit from my understanding.

i think its the shifter bracket assembly needs to be changed.

just be sure you get a tranny with the right number of splines to mate up to your T-case and the rest should be fine. As said above the VR-4 1st gear is a little longer, but other than that the 1g's are the same.

raptorWagon

+1 make sure that the transmission output shaft spline count (either 22 or 23) matches the transfer case input shaft when to go to find a new transmission.

NickDromez

thanks to everybody and brunoboy for sending me that link. just picked up the tranny tonight and im about to open it up tomorrow and see if there is anything wrong with it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned