The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

transistor and cap./filter question

chucklesas

2 questions:
1. I'm pretty certain that the transistor is grounded through the wiring, but I want to make sure that it's not grounded through its mounting. With the JMF intake manifold there's no real good place to mount it, which brings me to my second question.
2. Does that capacitor/filter that is normally mounted on top of the intake manifold still need to be grounded to some point on the engine, or could it be mounted anywhere in the bay?

Thanks.

Part of the reason the transistor is bolted to the engine is for a heat sink, so you may affect the longevity of it if you were to leave it floating/hanging. I'd recommend making a bracket to mount it if possible.
The capacitor will probably work fine anywhere, as long as it's grounded.

chucklesas

All right, so I attached the transistor to the back of the block just using an open threaded hole and the stock bracket. Hopefully that will suffice as far as heat sinks go.

One more electrical related question (I hope). Does the resistor pack need to be isolated from the chassis and all grounds? I don't appear to have the stock bracket (the one originally on the white car was all melted), but it seemed like the resistor pack was sitting on some bushings and rubber washers. I currently have it bolted to the firewall. I thought I've seen others done the same way, but it's possible I just imagined it.

As far as I remember, the resistors are completely electrically isolated from the mounting bracket, so it shouldn't matter how you mount them. The rubber mounts were probably only to isolate them from vibration.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts