The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

trans fluid swap = big improvement

mikus

My transmission (TRE build w/ fairly low miles) was a real bitch to get in 1st sometimes, grinded a tad into 3rd once in a while, and was just overall notchy. No major issues - just disappointing performance for a specialty shop build.

Swapped out the fluid during axle change, from what I think was BG, to redline MTL with 1/2 pint of Royal Purple - and all symptoms cleared up! The best $40 I could have spent on the car to date (barring repairs)

Just wanted to put it out there for those who debate whether a fluid change may help. I sure didn't expect this much improvement. FWIW I'm not knocking BG, it's good stuff.

ercp98

can you be more specific on the what royal purple you used?
gear oil weight? i wonder if this will be a good addition to penzoil syncromesh?

I was told a 50/50 mix of Redline 50/50 mix of redline lightweight shock proof and mt90. An Redline heavy weight in the t-case and the rear diff.. This is what I'm going with for my tranny, T case and rearend.

mikus

RP was 75-90. I only mixed vs. straight redline because
1) the same mix felt nice in my last vr4's stock gearbox, and
2) the taller RP quart didn't fit my fluids shelf and I was tired of knocking it over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts

Recent Classifieds Listings