The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Towing USING the VR4?

GreenGSX

Quoting alansupra94:
Quoting GreenGSX:
Quoting alansupra94:
I was wondering if anyone has tried using their Galant VR4 to tow small things, such as motorcycles? Or do you think they just don't have enough low end torque/power. I have 2G pistons for 8.5:1 compression BTW. (Dunno if that makes a difference)

I mean I don't have a hitch right now but I have been looking and am unsure of what exactly will fit and what not. Modifying the hitch won't be a problem as I have a welder guy that can pretty much do anything. I just would rather not waste his time welding and mocking up stuff that is already out there.

Thanks,
Alan

A VR4 can make a great tow vehicle and shouldn't have any issues towing a small trailer with a bike on it. The One Lap trailer was a 4x4 foot Harbor Freight special with a wood box built on it. We had it filled to the top with a transmission, tires, tools, and enough spare parts to get us home. It wasn't as heavy as a bike but it wasn't easy to move around by hand either.

The only issues I can see is finding a hitch and then making sure your bumper is strong enough to hold the tongue weight you are expecting to have. A good formula is you should have at least 10% of your total trailer weight as your tongue weight. The One Lap rear bumper had some rust issues that you couldn't see from the outside. I had to weld plates to the top and bottom and then run 1/2 bolts up through to sandwich the tongue mounting bolts on the hitch to the rear bumper. Given that all of our cars are at least 18 years old and can be in any state from rust buckets to flawless you should factor in pulling off the rear bumper and cover to inspect exactly what condition your car is in.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif @ the people towing cars. You guys have a lot of faith in your cars.

Now what I don't understand in this post is, is your trailer hitch/towing bar connected to your bumper/bumper support? Why would you connect it to the frame to avoid tougue weight?

I planed to connect to the frame in possibly 4-6 spots to give ample support and towing capacity.

We are not driving trucks we have unibody cars so we have very few options to mount trailer hitches.

The trailer hitch I have which, is similar to the others I've seen, attaches to the two rear tow hook points and then to the bottom of the bumper. The tow hook points take almost all of the push pull of the hitch while the bumper mounting points take most of the tongue weight.

Last edited:

I know they can tow. There used to be a guy running around town here towing a good size zero turn mower on a FWD Galant.

AWDnoobie

Spent a few minutes searching and found the thread on the gvr4 trailer hitch. Now if someone has a hitch they are not using maybe we could find someone that will make some for us, even tho they could get a bit pricey

alansupra94

Sweet.

Does anyone know the class of that hitch?

I want to try get at least a Class II or III.

I have a parts car in B.C. Need anything (no trailer hitch) else, before it's scrapped. PM me if I can help.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned