The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

topline oil pump assembly

chrisb33

Dont know if this is where this post belongs but since it's a tech question id post it here.

Im in the process of rebuilding a 6 bolt long block and im shopping around for a brand new oil pump assembly. i know topline's rep as a brand so im very iffy with their product.

does anyone have any experience with their oil pump assembly or should i just go with my old one.

oh btw, im rebuilding an N/A block with 2g turbo pistons with aftermarket bearings, studs, etc. is the oil pump assembly from an N/A block the same with the turbo block? i know all the internals are the same except for the pistons but what about the pumps like water and oil?

please chime in!

thanks.

chris b

mitsuturbo

i have heard horrible things about the topline pumps. let me tell you my experience with one.

i had a brand new topline oil pump. i mounted it after filling it with assembly grease and primed it just as i'd primed many a used mits oil pump in the past. then i took my car around the block and made sure everything was ok. came back and checked for leaks and took it back out. I kind of got on the throttle one time, let off, and the car died. I tried to rollstart it figuring it was just a plumbing issue.. stripped the Tbelt right out and bent (thankfully only two) valves.

I'll never try a topline oil pump again. POS made it around the block twice, and took a dump on me. Completely seized.

chrisb33

does anyone know if the N/A oil pump assembly is the same with the turbo oil pump assembly.

Thinking out loud, i'm almost sure that it's different because the oil requirement for a turbo engine is higher than an n/a engine.

i might be wrong though.

chris b

mitsuturbo

They're the same. I'm now running a 90 oil pump with straight cut gears off of an N/A Laser. Works great, although my OP is pretty high on a cold start, due to using an N/A block as well.

They are indeed the same pump though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts