The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Throttle Position Sensor

cheekychimp

How complicated are these? I have a 75mm throttle body that will eventually be going on the car. Wilson (who manufacture the TB) offer three TPS options from GM and FORD that are a direct fit to the TB.

What's my best bet? Re machining the throttle body so that the Mitsu TPS can be bolted up or can one of the above TPS options be spliced into the OEM wiring? I am using DSMLink so for the purposes of this question assume that we need to create a signal that works with a stock Mitsubishi ECU, not a standalone.

Link to the three TPS options

TPS options for 75mm TB

powerplay

The TPS is a varible resistor. Receives 5V and ground. The wiper arm sends a varying voltage to the ECU, depending on the position. The TPS varible resistance value is .22 Ohms to 4.9K ohms measured between ground and the arm. So any TPS that has 3 terminals with a fixed resistance of 4.7K to 5.0K ohms should work between the +5V and ground lines. I don't think this should be to hard to find.

But, don't forget that some TPS's have an idle-closed switch integrated into them, which you *should* have, if possible.

powerplay

Good point Jeff!
You will want an idle-closed switch. It would be nice if ours was incorporated into the TPS.

Just use a 2G throttlebody. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I think they may be smaller in diameter though, but the TPS and idle-closed switch are integrated on a 2G throttlebody.

cheekychimp

Enlighten me please! What exactly does the idle closed switch do and if the switch is not integrated on the 1G, then where is it? What does it need to connect to? I need to work that out and doing any modifications preferably before fitting this TB.

The closed-idle switch on a 1G/GVR-4 is on the rear left side of the throttlebody, and simply shorts a wire to ground whenever the throttle is completely closed. It can cause a lot of idle surge issues if the ECU doesn't se it grounded.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting cheekychimp:
What exactly does the idle closed switch do

good thread

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned