The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Three Speed scatter shield install

JNR

Just because something doesn't run 'x' time, doesn't mean it couldn't benefit from one of these...other than the cost, there is no reason not to run one...small price to pay though and very reasonable being 304 ss like that (fun to machine)...Now, it just needs a little polish and it'll finish off the package!

Even stockers can blow, especially with a cast (vs. forged) flywheel, which most all OEM are...aluminum or iron, it doesn't matter, they can and do blow up...I mean, look how fast they are spinning and at what force and one little thing...boom...

I just think it's a good idea to run one as a precaution, regardless of times, etc...I don't plan on running mine at the track much, but I do get on it on the street now and again...

It's too bad he doesn't have one for my T-56 conversion in the 'velle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Yet again i never heard or has anyone that aftermarket chromoly or aluminum flywheel blow. Yet stock ones thats a different story, we all know they blow so its just smart to change it. The flywheels are cheap enough to change them while u change ur clutch. V8 is a different story.
If it makes u feel better having one good for u. Again not one SS has been proven how well it will work. I wouldnt want to run a stock flywheel anyway and always think it may happen to me.

JNR

I understand what you're saying and I wouldn't run an oem (cast) piece myself, but even so things happen...On my 'velle I am running a steel billet flywheel vs. cast iron (aluminum FW's are beneficial more on higher-revving motors like ours) and higher end hardware, but I worry...I think it's more critical in that application, but not a bad idea on ours either, even if slimmer odds..

number3

What is your motive here? Before you even posted I already stated the following.

"When buying my shield you should buy a sfi flywheel, pressure plate and new flywheel bolts to complete the safety package."

Feel free to reread everything I wrote. It in there. It sounds a lot like your statement but I you are only focusing on the flywheel.

A cracked flywheel and/or a cracked pressure plate (clutch) or incorrectly or over used flywheel bolts all can lead to the destruction of the transmission and maybe more even with a shield installed.

There is nothing, not even replacing everything that I stated, that will guarantee to stop a catastrophic driveline failure from happening. But each item used together will greatly reduce the chance of problems.

I also stated why the shields have never been officially tested.

Do you know how they test shields? How much it costs? Do you know the ins and outs of the tests? Do you know why I didn't have it tested?

I do and it is because there is not a test for this product that would work for the real world... so I worked with them in other ways to produce the best product I could. I am working with them to come up with the rules and test that will work with FWD/AWD cars. Their rules and tests only really work on RWD cars. (ie. outdated)

Jeff Hill runs a Three Speed scatter shield on his EVO because he want as much protection as possible. Sean Ivey does the same. They both are very careful with the products they use and approached ME about making their cars just that much safer.

You are free not to us my product but please do not discourage others from at least looking into it for themselves. I was as forward and honest as I can be about this subject even before you backed up some of my words.

BTW the shield is not ugly but I don't know why anyone would put it on just for it looks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

One last thing... I make it possible for people to race their 4G63s legally at the tracks across this great country. What is wrong with that?

Last edited:

hey harry you lost me here. if you didnt have it tested how is it sfi approved? just wondering thats all.

hector

number3

Just to be clearer the shields are not sfi certified.

There are no FWD/AWD shields in the world that sfi certified.

Simply stated when I went to have them tested 2002-2003... there was no test to take.

The test and rules are just starting to develope (with some of my input) and until they (IHRA specifically) have and another company makes a shield and has it sfi tested the Three Speed shield is the only shield that they (IRHA) will pass through tech. This is thanks to a, Leon Reitman, a sfi rep phone call (in 02-03) and NED taking the shield to the IRHA headquarters in Ohio and having it approved for use. The Three Speed shield also meet or exceed the NHRA requirements as well.

If you want the strongest shield I make buy then 360 AWD. If you want a strong shield that passes tech and "also just looks pretty" (this still baffles my mind) then buy the standard 1G AWD. If you don't want or need either at least inspect your driveline parts and hardware for cracks etc. on a regular basis to head off future problems.

Tip: The Three Speed scatter shield is no longer the weakest link.

If anyone else has any questions please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or [email protected] and I will be happy talk to about them. If you leave me your phone number I will even call you to discuss it.

[typos and missing complete words]

Thank you,

Last edited:

Do you make a conversion for the standard scatter shield to turn it into the awd 360 scatter shield. I already have one of your 1g awd scatter shields but got it before you offered the 360 shield. Or do I have to look to sell mine and buy a whole new one from you?

number3

That is a very good question.

I started out trying to sell "add-on kits" for the all the shield I have sold in the past but I never sold one. If you want to exchange your old shield I will give you credit towards a 360 or make you a "custom" 360 kit (my choice). Each option would cost you the same.

e mail or PM me your number and I can talk to you about your options and the cost.

That goes for anyone who has purchase a SSSS.

Sounds good.

I have already powder coated my shield so I would probably like to send it to you and have you add on to it/custom make it into a 360 kit. I'll send you a PM when I get home from work.

For those questioning the "testing" aspect, I think it's obvious that the SSSS is at least going to help. I mean, how could it not? If it cuts down the inertia of flwheel explosion debris enough to cut damage costs by $150, then it just paid for itself.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned