The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

thoughts on who to rebuild my transmission

Hey guys and gals. Just thought id ask some personal experiences between two performance transmission companies. I've heard good and bad from both. I can rebuild my transmission on my own. But id rather send it our since my final goals for the car are 500 hp. Anyway. What are your views on dogboxracing or shep transmissions? I know john sheppard is in the 7s but that is his trans. Both services are about the same cost so its a coin flip. I would like people to chime in whom have personal experiences with either company. I don't want to hear your friends cousin has one. I want prsonal opinions please. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

rgeier11

Jack's Transmission. Real cheap. Same stuff as the other guys.

mitsuturbo

I believe TRE built the landspeed GVR4's tranny. They are supposed to do good work.
Jack's and Shep are also just as good from what i understand. Go with who will suit your needs for the best price and proximity.

well. I'm looking for proximity. Dogbox is an hour drive from me. So are you saying the quality is all similar? Just go with the closest to me?

rgeier11

Checkout this page from the Info Archive that explains all of the transmission preload specifications. You can use these in a discussion with the builder you choose. They will help guide you the rest of the way.

click

thanks for all these other optional suggestions guys. i didnt realize this many were around. let alone local to me. if theres any other please feel free to chime in. i will be giving everyone a call find. but experiences from you guys(the members) would really sway my interest too. i had a friend offer me his precision 6262 ball bearing turbo to put his evo 8 back together(long story hahahaha) so i will be selling that off to get the funds for the rebuid. so money is there. is just a decision on who gets it

Jesh

Well going with someone close to you would save you alot of money, (i'm in Alaska, got my tranny from TRE, shipping was murder) but the transmission is top notch! I have nothing bad to say about it, i went with a brand new fully built tranny with shot peened gears, lsd, 4 spider, 10% taller 5th gear and anything else i could think of. The only downside to ordering from TRE... the guy is hard to get ahold of, he's not ducking calls or anything, he just runs a one man shop from what i could tell. But if my tranny every does grenade on me, i wouldn't hesitate for a second to order from shep trans. I've hear nothing but good things about them. hope this is the kind of input you were looking for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

belize1334

My feeling is that all of these shops know what they're doing and will build you a good solid transmission but in the end I'll lean toward easy to talk to and close(ish) in proximity every time. I'd go local just 'cause it'll save you a MINIMUM of $150 (shipping - gas) and if you ever have any issues you can just pop over and have it looked at. You can't beat a local seller when it comes to ease of communication. I'm gonna buy a transmission tomorrow and I'll be going with Jackstrans. Why? Well he and EnglishRacing are the closest shops to me and I've had better communication with Jack's.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned