The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Thinking about gauges

Whoodoo

I am going to need to get some gauges pretty soon and I know I'll be getting a boost gauge, but I will have room for where I want to put it for another one. I just wanted to get opinions on what other gauge you all think is a good one to get. I know the stock temp gauge is crap, but in terms of being able to accurately keep track of one more variable on the fly, what would be the best choice?

ApexHunter

It kind of depends on the situation. Water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure are crucial to monitor on any car of a high performance nature especially if you are modifying it and/or it sees sustained high engine speeds/loads. When you start messing with engine tuning, WBo2 becomes another must have.

I venture to guess that the car in question is going to be used almost exclusively on the street, mostly cruising but with some occasional shenanigans, and probably adding some power. For this i'd say WBo2 and a logger should be fine.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Go nuts and get it all done in one shot.
Oil Pressure
Water Temp
EGT
Boost
Volts

It's a little bit of overkill but it's all right there, and ready to view. Anything blocked of view is just what is being upgraded anyways.
If you just want a couple of gauges, you might still be able to get away with an stealthy installation on the column. It's function that should dictate your preference of what gauges to install. Follow what the other guys mentioned above, this was just to illustrate what I wanted to try because I had never really seen it done before. I will have to install a WB 02 unit soon; SHOULD but haven't as of yet.
Oh, those are tie strap left overs used to keep the gauges from rotating while I was determining fitment to keep them tight in their bunks (2" PVC pipe).

Last edited:

Whoodoo

I found an evo 6 single din OEM gauge set (oil pressure, volts, and boost) and it looks like all the gauges are electrical. I tried sifting through an evo 6 FSM but couldn't find anything on where they are driven from. Does anyone have any info on this?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
The wiring for those gauges may have been dealer added, so it may have been loomed by themselves and not in the main harness. I cannot confirm this, just speculating.
In that case, find a set of gauges with sending units and wiring included. Might be easier said than done. If the gauges have pigtails to connect to, that would be great, otherwise you have to find some kind connector for the back of the gauge set. I am hoping someone here has used a gauge set similar to that and can post up about it.

Whoodoo

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Does mitsu do electronic boost gauges? Could I perhaps grab a sender from a later evo?

If it's going to be like putting in an aftermarket gauge set, then I'll just get an aftermarket set. I've been eyeing these for a little while because they look very similar to the factory dials.

curtis

Never seen a radar detector gauge thats slick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I'd like to find a 3 temp in one digital gauge... one for intake temp at filter then one before IC and one after.

Found one of these other day they look cool for water injection

click me.

Last edited:

Whoodoo

I understand having accurate information for multiple variables is a must, but where do you call it quits? I don't want to have a bunch of extra gauges that I rarely look at littering my dashboard. Also, the gauges I do get have to be as inconspicuous as possible, none of this bright LED backlit 'look at me I go fast' tom foolery. Ideally, I'll be making myself something similar to fivestardsm so as to be as obscure as possible.

Basically, I don't want to add too much clutter to the dash so, apart from boost, what gauge do you all find most useful most often?

RedTwo

If I ever needed that many gauges, I'd start looking at something like a DisplayLink
displaylink806image.jpg

Granted it needs a compatable ECU (Link) and can only display 8 variables at once and costs about NZ$1000...
otherwise I'd get *really* fancy and replace the dash cluster with a laptop and set it up to run PCLink's virtual dash
image_preview
By this point I'm sure I would have this guy
ff_quote_14.jpg

to tune my car and fix that 'hole in my fuel map' that 'uploads 3rd gear'...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts