The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The Galant is on its way to collectibility!

number3

Quote:
toyota alltracs qualify for collectible insurance, so we should too. your company must be pretty gay

It is not 'my' company. My car insurance company on my daily drivers is Erie. And they cover my non daily drivers and give me a break on the rates for the low mileage but I want true collectors coverage.

I have tried all the specialty insurance companies over the years and they simply stop listening to you once you say Mitsubishi or Mazda. "We prefer to cover muscle cars and exotics, true collector cars..."

I even have a friend in the business and still no luck to this point. I haven't retried in the last 8 months or so. Maybe I will try another round of phone calls.

I was hoping that once imports dominated the industry, things would change, but looking at the cars at SEMA this year it appears that imports have lost a lot of ground over the last 12 months. The booths started showing a lot domestics again.

If anyone has heard different or has any real insider tips please let me know.

Both my cars in question are driven under 1,500 miles a year (not a typo) and are garaged all year round.

ummmmm my car was bone stock about a week ago... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Quote:
I was hoping that once imports dominated the industry, things would change, but looking at the cars at SEMA this year it appears that imports have lost a lot of ground over the last 12 months. The booths started showing a lot domestics again.

from my perspective... (which I think is very skewwed) I think, hope, that the industry is starting to change to cars that are worth a sh*t, regardless of import or domestic... I hate nothing more then a econobox that is dressed up as a sports car... I've been seeing the quick cars running with the quick cars, and that is where I hope it is going.

gvr4ever

I've never wanted or counted on my car to really be a true collectable, but I never liked how they have become so cheap. I think a non rusted GVR4 with a solid clear coat, leather in good shape, mechanicly fit, should hold as much value as a Celica All Trac or a MR2 or something. I don't have any current plans to sell my car, but if I had too, I think it would be hard to get 6K for it. That's pretty much worthless with the list of new parts I have and what the car can do overall.

464/2K

i think we should all rebel and only sell our cars for 6k, nothing less.

gvr4ever

Quote:
i think we should all rebel and only sell our cars for 6k, nothing less.

They aren't all worth that much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Some of them have some real needs. I'm starting to want a 2nd one for the wifes need for speed and AWD for winter, and I'll take a car with a few needs, I just want a non rusted one that doesn't have a dammaged body. I want to work with a 4K budget or close to it.

If the Galant was going to hold a decent value, it would have already. I don't think they will ever be a true collectable. They are only special to a few lucky owners who get it. Soon, used WRXs are going to start to get afordable and age takes it's toll on used cars. If the EVO or WRXs never made it to the US, then the GVR4 would be the only rally style car, but it wasn't the only one and soon, many used WRXs and EVOs will be on the market and I will prolly get one at some point.

Ian M

Collectible and valuable are two different things in my opinion. Our cars are already collectible judging by the vast number of us who own two,three,or even four at a time,and all the sales literature and ads we can find.

Muscle cars are valuable right now because the 40 and 50 something guys lusted after these cars for years,and now they can pay big bucks. It goes in cycles,back in the '80s there was a huge price boom.

Muscle cars were coveted back when they were new as well as now,and there are a LOT of guys who either wanted on or had one has the disposable bucks to afford them.

The main difference is now (as opposed to the '80s) it doesn't even have to be a numbers matching '69 Yenko Camaro or Hemi Cuda,clones are considered OK these days. It dosent have to be a rare SS or Boss trim level car anymore either. You couldnt give away a slant six or 318 Duster in the '80s-now a clean one brings a nice price.

Eventually,the prices will settle.

I don't think there are enough people that covet our cars enough to make them really valuable.

As far as leaving them stock,our cars are pretty boring in stock form,most of us bought them to Hot Rod them. I doubt years from now we'll be any more excited about a stock GVR4 than we are now.

If anything,a "period" modified GVR4 might prove to be more valuable. 20 years from now, a conversation could go like this: "Wow,it still has the BR20g,VPC etc etc- Just like the one I had back in '98!!"

A extreme example,If you ever look at the prices of Model T and A Fords, you'll see that a clean stocker is fairly cheap. Especially the Ts. Much like our cars,they are almost worth more in parts. They used to be worth more,all the guys who remember them when they were just transportation and have waxed nostalgic about them are either too old or dead...

Now,find a Model A that was rodded in the '50s,complete with a hot flathead,Olds,Buick,Caddy etc engine and all the period parts,you are talking big bucks. Same goes for a modern street rod with the stereotypical small block Chevy,automatic,A/C ect.

IMO,just enjoy our cars for what they are-affordable,practical,easy to modify hot rods. We will never be able to retire off selling one,stock or not... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW,Who would collect a '89 Maxima year from now? Who wants one now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:

whatever company it is, i know they cover alltracs, amoung other rare imports. you just have to prove a limited run. and there are allot of gvr4's out there i would be willing to pay 6k for, or more.

Quote:

As far as leaving them stock,our cars are pretty boring in stock form,most of us bought them to Hot Rod them. I doubt years from now we'll be any more excited about a stock GVR4 than we are now.

If anything,a "period" modified GVR4 might prove to be more valuable. 20 years from now, a conversation could go like this: "Wow,it still has the BR20g,VPC etc etc- Just like the one I had back in '98!!"

A extreme example,If you ever look at the prices of Model T and A Fords, you'll see that a clean stocker is fairly cheap. Especially the Ts. Much like our cars,they are almost worth more in parts. They used to be worth more,all the guys who remember them when they were just transportation and have waxed nostalgic about them are either too old or dead...

Now,find a Model A that was rodded in the '50s,complete with a hot flathead,Olds,Buick,Caddy etc engine and all the period parts,you are talking big bucks. Same goes for a modern street rod with the stereotypical small block Chevy,automatic,A/C ect.

IMO,just enjoy our cars for what they are-affordable,practical,easy to modify hot rods. We will never be able to retire off selling one,stock or not... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I could not have said it better.

So... it's ok I de-stocked my car?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

VR4ownzU

The All-tracs were a little over 26k where our cars were around 24k I believe? I've always liked the 90-93 all-tracs but their overpriced for how beat, rusted, and nontunable they are. stock clean ones go for as high as 8k...try getting that out of a galant...The leather in those things are always garbage where the galants is usually in good shape.

I really enjoyed the article, but wasn't sure why they listed both a coupe and liftgate 1G Celica and a Plymouth Fire Arrow and yet left off some real icons like the Honda CRX 1G or 2G, Celica Alltrac 1G or 2G, Mazda 323GTX, etc. If they wanted an school Mitsubishi/Chrysler nod, instead of the Fire Arrow, what about the Dodge Colt Turbo or Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo? And it is tough to ignore the gapping hole left from the Mark IV Supra TT not being listed. Glad to see that they GVR4 made the list, though. I suppose it is easy to second guess the list, so I'll sign this one off with a thanks to Hemmings Sports & Exotics for recognizing the "classic" Japanese car market.

P.S. Has anyone ever seen a set of the "rotor" wheels shown pictured on the 79-82 RX-7? I've been searching for a set for some time. Beginning to think they are mythical...

steve

Quote:
The Galant is on its way to collectibility!

So, when the hell are you going to collect yours, Mondo??

I'm glad to see someone giving the galant credit too. However, I don't see the crx ever becoming a collectible. Cars that were mass produced will take a LONG time to become a valuable collectible because there are so many out there. Also, most collectible cars are appreciated over a wide age group. The galant is loved by old and young alike do to the fact that it is a luxury sport sedan. The CRX was pretty much an economy box that kids liked to put fart cans on. I'm not saying there's nothing to be appreciated in the CRX, I just don't think it has contributed enough to become a collectible. To each his own though. I do agree that they should've had the supra TT on there though. That car has raised the bar in import racing.

-Josh

PS. For real Mondo, that TRE tranny would look pretty good in a galant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

if the supra TT goes on there then you have to put the rx-7 on there, thoes are bad ass

Quote:
I'm glad to see someone giving the galant credit too. However, I don't see the crx ever becoming a collectible. Cars that were massed produced will take a LONG time to become a valuable collectible because there are so many out there. Also, most collectible cars are appreciated over a wide age group. The galant is loved by old and young alike do to the fact that it is a luxury sport sedan. The CRX was pretty much an economy box that kids liked to put fart cans on. I'm not saying there's nothing to be appreciated in the CRX

I disagree. CRXs put there stamp all over amateur racing, both drag and road racing. Finding the "right" model is good shape is increasingly difficult and I've seen them sell for more than our galants.

jogalant

Quote:
They did have some questionable picks, like the 1989-94 Nissan Maxima.....

They chose this to be a future collectible?

Quote:
....and yet left off some real icons like the Honda CRX 1G or 2G, Celica Alltrac 1G or 2G, Mazda 323GTX, etc.

How could they have left off a true WORLD RALLY CHAMPION, the Celica GT-Four, (please don't call it an Alltrac... the marketing morons from Toyota USA massacred this great car's name), which not even the GVR4 can boast to have ever been, off the list?

Hemmings is on crack these days....

Quote:
Quote:
I'm glad to see someone giving the galant credit too. However, I don't see the crx ever becoming a collectible. Cars that were massed produced will take a LONG time to become a valuable collectible because there are so many out there. Also, most collectible cars are appreciated over a wide age group. The galant is loved by old and young alike do to the fact that it is a luxury sport sedan. The CRX was pretty much an economy box that kids liked to put fart cans on. I'm not saying there's nothing to be appreciated in the CRX

I disagree. CRXs put there stamp all over amateur racing, both drag and road racing. Finding the "right" model is good shape is increasingly difficult and I've seen them sell for more than our galants.

Well said, Chris. Ignoring the VW Rabbit, the CRX was the orginal hot-hatch to the American youth. As for the wide age group, I've got to say that I loved them when I was young and I still love them in my middle age! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
if the supra TT goes on there then you have to put the rx-7 on there, thoes are bad ass

For those that have not yet seen the article, here is the rundown:

1993-1995 Acura Legend GS
2000-2001 Acura Integra Type R
Datsun 2000 Roadster
1970-1973 Datsun 240Z
1988-1991 Honda Prelude Si 4WS
1999 Honda Civic Si
1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo
1970-1978 Mazda RX-2 and RX-3
1979-1982 Mazda RX-7
1990-1998 Mazda MX-5 Miata
1993-1995 Mazda RX-7
1986-1989 Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R/Chrysler Conquest TSi
1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
1995-1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Spyder
1989-1994 Nissan Maxima SE
1989-1992 Nissan 240SX
1991-1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R
1978-1980 Plymouth Fire Arrow
1988-1991 Subaru XT6 4WD
1992-1997 Subaru SVX
1971-1973 Toyota Celica
1976-1977 Toyota Celica liftback
1979-1981 Toyota Celica Supra
1985-1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Twin Cam
1988-1990 Toyota MR-2 Supercharged

DSMGVR4

I personally think the 2G CRX started the new school import race scene. The old school imports like old corollas, datsuns, 280's and rx7s were the USDM forefathers...who later paved the road for the crx/civics, dsms, supras, and rx7s. My personal favorites are still a 2G crx and a 90-91 talon AWD....I currently have a GVR4, 05 Odyssey, and 97 Landcruiser...oh well, one day I shall have another toy. John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned