The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TEL shifter

gvr4ever

quote:Originally posted by Akidosigh1:
can you use any TEL shifter? like an aftermarket short shifter or something? Well if the shifter fits a 91-94 TEL you should be able to adapt it to the Galant VR4. I installed the TEL shifter without any mods, hacks, or fabrication of any kind. It was a direct drop in.

so,in order for you to fit an aftermarket t/e/l short shifter,you will have to do some fabrication?

gvr4ever

quote:Originally posted by Vr4in':
so,in order for you to fit an aftermarket t/e/l short shifter,you will have to do some fabrication? Well if the aftermarket shifter needs anything extra for a TEL, it will need the same thing for the GVR4. I know the Mufugas shifter needed a little work to fit (i forget what), but you need to read up on whatever shifter you are looking at.

When you are dealing with parts that are not factory, you need to pay attention to anything extra you might have to do.

Hertz

Staff member
I don't think you'd want a TEL short shifter. Think of it this way: the TEL shifter is shorter than the GVR4's. If you put an aftermarket TEL short shifter in you'd drag your knuckles.

not necessarily... if you ask me, the shorter the better. anyway, most short shifters shorten throws by changing fulcrum points too, not just shortening the top. having a tel ss doesn't always mean your hand is gonna be any closer to the console than it would be with a stock tel shifter.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The TEL lever does not change fulcrum points like the Mofugas or DSSA shifter, it is only shorter. It actually decreases your mechanical advantage, but the actual length of hand movement will be shorter, albeit closer to the console.

GVR4ever-how do you like it so far?

gvr4ever

quote:Originally posted by iceman69510:
The TEL lever does not change fulcrum points like the Mofugas or DSSA shifter, it is only shorter. It actually decreases your mechanical advantage, but the actual length of hand movement will be shorter, albeit closer to the console.

I like it alot. Though the advantage of leverage might have been lost, I can't even tell. I know I have done dammage to the tranny before because I missed 2nd gear due to the insainly long stock throw. I found it next to impossible to get fast shifts in ever. Though the shifter might only be lower, it makes a huge difference. It's just like my Talon was and I love it.

Mine just came in today, And Im goin to install shortly. Sucks theres no head on the engine huh?

Originally posted by iceman69510:
[qb] The TEL lever does not change fulcrum points like the Mofugas or DSSA shifter, it is only shorter. "
so if l cut my stock shifter and remove a section from the middle that would replicate the t/e/l shifter?That`s not a "short shifter" mod,it`s a "shorter" shifter..l think l`ll get mine out and rework/lengthen the material below the fulcrum shaft,changing the mechanical advantage.That combined with a shorter lever shaft would yield the snick snick operation we want..why buy when you can make

Hertz

Staff member
Yes, the only catch is that the shifter is hollow, so it adds a little complexity.

04DrBlur

Thats what I did to mine. Works great although I have never driven any other GVR-4 to tell you how much different the throw is in mine. I even cocked it a little toward me so know when in 5th it looks like 3rd.

okay so l took close look at the shifter assy.lt looks like you can add about 1/2 inch of material to the tang that ends at the shifter cable.That should still leave room for full operation and shorten the throw about 20% by my crude calculations.So the shifter shaft is hollow? just another reason why our cars are sooo light:p

quote:Originally posted by gvr4ever:

I like it alot. Though the advantage of leverage might have been lost, I can't even tell. I know I have done dammage to the tranny before because I missed 2nd gear due to the insainly long stock throw. I found it next to impossible to get fast shifts in ever. Though the shifter might only be lower, it makes a huge difference. It's just like my Talon was and I love it.
Be prepared for further damage... If you have not modified the shifter in any way, just dropped it in, then the bump stops in the shifter are too short, in that the shift shaft won't hit them. This means that when you slam it into gear, by not hitting the bumpstop there is nothing to prevent you from continuing to exert force on the shaft and the cables and "overshift." This basically means pushing the shift forks beyond where they meant to go and breaking them. Have fun rebuilding the tranny.

Unless you shift like a granny (and then you wouldn't care about a short shifter anyway) you need to put bigger bumpers in or start saving for new shift forks.

gvr4ever

quote:Originally posted by theymightbegalants:
quote:Originally posted by gvr4ever:

Be prepared for further damage... If you have not modified the shifter in any way, just dropped it in, then the bump stops in the shifter are too short, in that the shift shaft won't hit them. This means that when you slam it into gear, by not hitting the bumpstop there is nothing to prevent you from continuing to exert force on the shaft and the cables and "overshift." This basically means pushing the shift forks beyond where they meant to go and breaking them. Have fun rebuilding the tranny.

Unless you shift like a granny (and then you wouldn't care about a short shifter anyway) you need to put bigger bumpers in or start saving for new shift forks.
What bump stops are you talking about? There is only one rubber stopper on the shifter and it is the same as on the stock shifter. The bottom of the shifters are the same. What are you talking about?

I apparently misunderstood the type of shifter swap that had been done. I was getting my info from the vfaq, and went back to read it again just now, and it says installing a 91-94 shifter is A-OK (the upper arm is shorter, which gives rise to the possibility of overextending the forks, but the bumpstops are in the same place, not lower as well, preventing this). My bad, my apologies. Happy shifting, and fear not for your forks!

4orced4door

I put a TEL shifter in about a month ago. It felt weird as heck at first but now I don't know how I ever lived without. I changed the shifter without pulling the console no problem, but I put a TEL shift boot in tonight so it had to come out.

It really was a pain! Those seatbelts fight you the whole way.

Anyway, I snapped a couple pictures of the install for you guys that are contemplating this upgrade. Unfortunately my brother just deleted them while trying to send them to my computer
rolleyes.gif

I'll take a picture of the finished product tomorrow evening.

broke down

When I did my shifter in my talon, all I did was take a grinder to the shaft right below the threads, whereit starts to get thicker. Ground it down to the same diameter as the threads, cut off about an inch or so, then cut new threads on the ground down part. Works great if you don't have access to a welder. Be very careful though, that shaft is very hollow, I had to try twice to get it right....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned