The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sunroof woes.

gvr4ever

Our sunroof doesn't want to pop back up on the back of the drivers side. We're digging in to it. It only has one motor for the whole thing. Something seems jammed.

Could someone please go look and see if both sides have a coil that runs on the track, on both sides? Ours doesn't have one on the driver side. Please take pics of the tracks on a working open sunroof.

Thanks

tpr103

i changed my sunroof to a non rusted one and now when its closed i hear wind noises. luckly it doesn't leak. also going from full open to closed then to tilt up it seems like it gets caught. is there an adjustment?

gvr4ever

Well on ours, we found something that broke. It was a plastic piece. Kind of hard to explain, but we are going to try and fix it with plastic cement.

speedyvr4

I get a little of wind noise from mine and it also only goes up on one side when lifted only from the top. I got other stuff to fix bfore i get to the sun roof. working on sunroofs is a bitch btw.

BoostedAWD91

Quote:
Our sunroof doesn't want to pop back up on the back of the drivers side. We're digging in to it. It only has one motor for the whole thing. Something seems jammed.

Could someone please go look and see if both sides have a coil that runs on the track, on both sides? Ours doesn't have one on the driver side. Please take pics of the tracks on a working open sunroof.

Thanks

since u have urs ripped apart already, what is the lever or motor that tilts the back of the sunroof open, mine wont tilt open but it opens and closes fine, it just seems like its stuck or the lever popped off

gvr4ever

The plastic part that mounts the back of the glass to the to the coil screw on the rack is probably broken.

One motor works the whole thing. If your motor is working, and the sunroof isn't, It's gotta be track related some how.

boostedinaz

Any pics of what broke on your sunroof. Mine is now doing the exact same thing, the driver side doesn't go up but the passenger side does.

Also, do I need to take down the entire headliner to get access?

324vr4

Go buy a piece of Lexan and make your own lightweight sunroof....however mine no longer opens but shaved off 40+lbs once the new one was put in....looks pretty good and was surprisingly easy...the hardest part was cutting the lexan to fit....

DarkDevilMMM

haha, I got the exact same problem... when doing the tilt, driver side won't move at all, but passenger side goes up and down fine. and when doing a full open of the whole moon roof it works fine also... I used to tilt it a lot but now I just open it all the way.

boostedinaz

Quote:
Go buy a piece of Lexan and make your own lightweight sunroof....however mine no longer opens but shaved off 40+lbs once the new one was put in....looks pretty good and was surprisingly easy...the hardest part was cutting the lexan to fit....

I am interested in actually fixing it. I like things to work the way they should and this is bothering me and it has only been 2 days. Lexan gets scratched and looks like sh*t after awhile, plus this is my driver so I want comfort and options over light weight.

Last edited:

Back from the dead....any solutions to the tilt issue? What was broken and did you get it fixed?

gvr4ever

PM sent. I got a used one that wasn't broken. I tried using strong cement to re-glue a piece that held the glass to the track, but it didn't take.

You will probably have to go parts hunting. Hopefully any power sunroof from any galant of the same body style will work.

gtluke

mine did it, so i ripped the whole thing out and welded the glass into the roof. so i have the whole track and eletrical parts in my shed, so i probably have 1 of the clip things that break at least.
anyone want parts?

BoostedAWD91

i need the parts that are for the tilt. Everything else works fine with my sunroof, but when i hit the tilt up switch it just twitches and wont go up. Is it actually repairable?

gvr4ever

No. The sunroof only has one motor. The lift part is a extra mechanical movement that can't work if the glass is no longer attached to the track. One side is dragging.

BoostedAWD91

yeah i know, but is it possible to repair the lever that tilts the sunroof open? do u have to take the cover that is riveted on? i think its riveted, its been awhile

gvr4ever

If you want to try and fix it, your just going to have to take it apart and see what's going on. I don't think anyone has a write up on it. If they keep breaking in greater numbers, maybe someone will make some replacement parts for them.

Step one, remove your sunroof from the car and put it on a table.

Diego

my sunroof only opens like 2 1/2 to 3" and stops doesnt tilt up...so track related??

how hard is that to fix? tia

Boostdtalon

Bringing this one back. I know my sunroof is off the track. Has anyone put theirs back on track? I also know the turn screw to manually close the sunroof is broken. So if any has any insight on what do to I'd appreciate the help.

misterfixit

Scrool down and here's how the mechanism works...

click

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned