The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stolen Galant VR4

mitsuturbo

There's been some discussion recently about how "safe" we as VR4 owners generally feel that our vehicles will not be stolen. This got me to wondering... Has anyone actually had their running car stolen? I don't mean by way of some shady deal, or some situation where someone felt slighted because of something related to a shady deal.

There was one "reported" on this forum as stolen in the past year or so, but it turned out to be some deal gone wrong or something. Clearly the person claiming it was stolen from them is full of dookie, they failed to get the title in their name, or some other misdealings wound up in forfeiture, leaving them no legal recourse or ability to claim the vehicle as their own.

I'm asking if anyone has had a GVR4 legitimately stolen (not towed/impounded, either). Like, you went out and your car was just missing and you have no clue where it went. Someone got into your car, drove it away, and it was gone. If not you, do you know anyone this has happened to? If so, was it ever recovered?

Last edited:

Diego

There was a meet called IceCreamCruise in Omaha, guy drove a Civic and it was boosted from the event....
Never recovered.

Other than that... Nope.

Diego

James

I think he's asking for VR4 thefts.

We can rattle off 100 honda thefts

LIV4PSI

There is a member who stopped a thief with a shotgun, from stealing his VR4

mitsuturbo

Wow. I just looked up his car. CF hood and trunk, JDM bumpers... i wonder where those parts are now. Especially the CF trunk lid. Factory ones are HEAVY.

That's just awful that it was stolen. I'd guess it was probably stolen by someone he knew, but then again maybe not.

So, there's one. While it's not a VR4, it's close enough. Anybody else know of any? As sad is it is that his was stolen, at least it's just ONE that has been mentioned here. If this were a honduh forum, i'm sure there would be literally tens of reports on this thread already, if not one or two posted in the general forum as stolen in the past week!

turbohf

there was a local vr4 that was stolen a long while back. it was one that I went to look at. when I did search of the badge number I found the post here on this forum. from what I remember I think it was a joyride.

I really do find it odd I have spent probably 2x the money on the Galant and its million times safer outside than my civic...

mitsuturbo

Was it a white one? If so, that was the "shady deal" i was referring to. The post about it being stolen was suspect, and the car was FS in shoreline on CL around the same time.

turbohf

yep. shoreline and white.

mitsuturbo

Yup. Here's the story on that one:

Quoting rallytimebitches:
Found the car: Legally and legitimately registered to someone else. The insurance company lied to me about reporting it stolen nationwide, the previous owner (who had the title) lied to me and told me he reported it stolen. recently saw it on craigslist for sale. the police wont do sh*t because it's not a car that was legit reported stolen. I legally couldn't report it myself, because the car was stolen before I had the title in hand. Now someone committed fraud and has it registered under the same vin and everything. So #1732 still exists...

if there's a lesson to be learned: never buy a car without the title. even if it's from your friends... (which was my case, i guess you can't trust anyone). Get the title in hand before paying a dime. I probably wont get the car back or any money because of this. that's what I get for foolishly jumping into a car I fell in love with.

on to the next... time for a new GVR4.

Guy claims he essentially got scammed, because he wasn't smart enough to get the TITLE when he bought the vehicle for whatever reason.

ktmrider

One got stolen from outside a repair shop in ABQ awhile back. I posted about it but darned if I can't find the thread anymore ( would of been 4+ years old, #400/2000 ).

Anyway fast forward, new guy in the area thinks he saw the car in the mountain area outside ABQ. Plaque gone however description matches to a T ( non-sunroof, BG, certain body damage ). Guy never posted up about owning or selling so I'm ASSuming it's the car.

IncorpoRatedX

No one wants these pieces of jap scrap...

fuel

Nikk on here (HOSTYL) had his VR-4 stolen not too long ago. This is in New Zealand though there VR-4s once were a common sight in the 90s/early 2000's and were a popular performance car to steal and part out.

EMX5636

You beat me to Nikk's car, that was a shame. I miss seeing pics of it with the bad ass wheels on it.

cheekychimp

I guess if you are looking at the 'risks' you need to consider the reasons why your car or any other VR4 might be stolen.

1. For re-sale.

There does seem to be a genuine demand for these cars over there given that they are quite rare. That also makes them less anonymous however and thieves generally don't like easily identifiable or unique vehicles unless they are taking them out of the country or dismantling them.

2. For parts.

Rare body parts such as JDM and AMG body kits, carbon fibre hoods, hell even decent shape stock bumpers could be a good enough reason to steal a car if you are in need of some parts for another VR4. Again those parts are more unique and subject to greater scrutiny, but still a lot less difficult to disguise and re-sell than an entire car.

Performance parts are going to be the next reason to steal a car especially if your car is known to be quick. Plus with the similarities of the DSM platform, thieves don't even need to own a VR4 to take advantage of those parts or find a market to sell them on.

And as Mark mentioned, universal parts like wheels and seats are always going to be in greater demand and easier to move.

3. Joyrides

This might arguably be the greatest risk to these cars. If your car is known to be fast it is always going to be attractive to young kids in need of a quick speed fix. Worst of all, if it was only taken for the thrill of the ride, chances are it will end up wrecked or trashed and burnt out when the thieving toe rags have finished with it.

NYC86ZC

A guy within the past year had a gvr4 stolen from Long Island. If I remember the story correctly, they stole the gvr4 to get to a mustang or something in the driveway. The gvr4 was blocking it in.

Another guy Zee from LI had his stolen, but that was about 5 or 6 years ago.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned