The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock spare wheel size

idreamidrive

I half-assed searched and didn't find anything.

Anybody know the tire size for the stock spare wheel? I thought it was a full size spare and ordered an extra tire to find out it was like a 135/70r16 or something like that. I don't have the car near me right now and this might help people out in the future.

thomcasey

Stock spare was a temporary spare (donut), not a full size, at least from the factory. It may have had a full-size when you cam across it, but it was a temp spare from the factory. 50 miles @ 50mph.

fuel

there's no way a full sized spare will fit in the trunk without being raised quite high. The FWD models had space for a full sized spare, yet ironically many still came with a space saver and a spacer put in place to meet the trunk floor.

I can't remember the size, but I think it will be something like a 125/70T16. You can't buy replacement tires for them anyway, and as it doesn't exactly match the rolling diameter of the stock wheel/tire you should be able to find any space saver from a Mitsubishi 4-lug of that era which should fit.

mitsuturbo

Stock spare is a 135 70 d16 bridgestone. I just checked. And since I was there already, I made sure it was inflated to 60psi. It was at about 20psi, initially. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

idreamidrive

I was thinking that normal tires need to be changed out every 5-7 yrs even if they look good due to the chemical properties of the tire breaking down, so a spare should probably be changed out too. Almost 23 years should be a no brainer on changing it out. I just don't like that it is almost the cost of two of the four tires I just put on.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned