The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starter shim plate

Blues15

Anybody ever use an Auto starter shim plate in place for the Manual trans? What issues will it cause if I do use the FWD shim?

Last edited:

EMX5636

The thickness is the same as far as I know for all the shim plates. However AWD/FWD and 5-speed/auto all have slightly different starter positions. I have used a dremel in a pinch to oval the holes (both bolt holes and the main starter hole) to get it to work, but last I checked the starter plates are still available new from JNZTuning and aren't expensive.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting Blues15:
Anybody ever use an Auto starter shim plate in place for the Manual trans? What issues will it cause if I do use the FWD shim?

You should use the proper shim, period.

As stated above, buy new or grab a used one from a reputable vendor.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Flywheel sizes are different so starter location is pretty critical and determined by the shim/mount plate.

thomcasey

^^^^this^^^^

AWD flywheel is 106 teeth, FWD flywheel is 110 teeth. Also the auto and manual have a slightly different placement for the starter itself.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned