The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starion SHP wheels

thomcasey

The wheels are actually the same diameter, but different widths. So he would have to be mega creative and accurate with aspect ratios to get the same rolling circumference.

GSTwithPSI

I'm running a staggered wheel setup with a 1" difference in width from front to rear. I'm using the same size tires front to rear, and I've had no issues. I measured the rolling diameter just out of curiosity, it was dead on.

raptorWagon

Remember, tektic, Crankwalk ran staggered Super Advans on his panda VR4, you just have to do your research and math to find the right combination including tires that will work for you.

GSTwithPSI

David also ran a staggered setup on his Galant click

I've never seen a real life case of damage occurring to the VCU as a result of a staggered wheel setup on a Galant/DSM. I've heard people say a million times you can't do it, though. The concern is founded, but can be alleviated if a staggered wheel setup is executed properly. There are tons of real world examples that prove that if done right, it can be done without issue.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You have some minimal float, given that the ratios through the transfer case are not mathematically exact anyway. In reality the rear is rotated a little slower than the front so you don't get push from the rear. VCU can handle some heat, but not lots of continual shear from one side not moving like happens with one axle down towing.

Pushinink

as long as the wheel diameter is the same why not run staggered. I have 1" spacers in the rear of my car (yes I know they suck) but ive never liked how the rear wheels look more 'sucked in' compared to the front

curtis

^because physics and drag racer math comes into play

Lets say your building a fox body mustang with 2500hp with a set of weld draglites. 15 x 4.5 in the front and 15 x 10's in the rear. front gets a 155 60 and the rear have some 28 x 10.5 w's.... a 155 want fit in the rear and a 28x10.5 w will fit on 3 fronts. You can run staggered but you damn well do some real math even the same size or one number up on tire size on a 1/2 inch wider wheel will have a totally different tire height which equates to a totally different circumference. Thats the magic number front tires in an awd need the same total roll out as the rear. Our cars from the factory is off by a minuscule amount on gear ratio and the tire pressure is suppose to be different from front to rear. Cant remember what it is because its 4 am but it is. Width and spacers isn't what kill gearboxes different lengths of the total rollout does. width and spacers are what kills ball joints, cv joints etc. Ever see a donk with some stupid ass 26's fall off a car or break a control arm. I did just a few weeks ago in a almost new tahoe. Hated to laugh but this dude peeled about 500 dollars worth of rubber off his front tire before he realized his ass was about to crash and pulled into the center median. wheel and tire was about somewhere between 45 and 60 degrees. Hella stance fo sure. I've broke enough transmissions, axles and cv joints to know what kills and tire size does. This is also coming from someone that wants a 11 inch wide set of wheels rolling on 315 all the way around a VR4 but I have 5 transmissions and 3 t cases so don't give two fu*(^ and don't listen to my own advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pushinink

So who has some photoshop skills? I want to see these shp wheels on a galant since nobody has posted a picture yet.

donniekak

My buddy has 18x8 in the front, and 19x9.5 on the rear of his 4g63 swapped 3000gt. All you need to do is match the diameter of the tires within 1-2%. He also runs a welded center diff and has no binding issues.

fuel

details of 4G63 swapped 3000GT?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned