The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Speedometer.. who's gone faster than it will indicate?

mitsuturbo

I was just wondering how many of us have gone fast enough to peg the speedo in the GVR4?
I've pegged it, but since the reedswitch keeps ticking, my calibrated Blitz Power Meter-iD indicated 163mph.

Oh.. this was on a track, of course. I'd never go that fast on a public roadway in the middle of utah by the salt flats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

fivestardsm

Yeah.. I got a nice 110 in a 70 or 75 ticket in Utah with my 91 626.
Luckily I was on the decell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

donniekak

I havent got all my of my parts in yet for my galant build, but i do plan on using the full gauge sweep. In my stealth i buried the speedo many times(180mph).

steve

I'd be afraid of the center diff locking up or some other such catastrophe.

prove_it

I've gone 140 before, down a big long hill. Never been past that.

Myles

One time my Ex had me super pissed off. And I was coming back from one of the midwest meets. Sure enough I'm distracted arguing with her on the phone. And by the time I realize I'm lost I'm about two hours out of my way and about the same distance from home as it would to go back and get back on the right hwy. So I just put my foot to floor and didn't care what happened. Ended up pegging the speedo and it took a second to coming back up. I assume the speedo has to be pretty inaccurate at those speeds. But it sure was fast.

JSchleim18

I got a ticket for doing 130 in a 65 in Missouri. $800 and handcuffs. not too shabby

prove_it

nice! double over I bet the cop was really nice to you too

JSchleim18

Actually he was. Not at first but afterwards he was. He told me to get out the car immediately and cuffed me. Threw me in the front of the squad car. They went through my whole car. There was no registration, inspection, fake plates, no insurance. The only thing I had was my title in my name. I told them I was trading it for a truck in Arkansas which was true. As we were driving to the precinct he asked if that was all it had (95 impala SS). I just laughed.

mitsuturbo

Quoting JSchleim18:
I got a ticket for doing 130 in a 65 in Missouri. $800 and handcuffs. not too shabby

That beats my $500 for 70 in a 30 (and still accelerating), however the $1200 i paid a bondsman, impound and towing fees, court costs, and everything else easily added up to over $2500. Took me long long time to financially recover from that little escapade. Did i learn my lesson? Maybe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

JSchleim18

Damn that sucks. I was lucky to be carrying a little over $1,200 on me so I was able to pay the bond up front and I had my friend with me who drove the car to the precinct. So yeah I avoided a lot of fees that day.

slugsgomoo

i've only had the galant up to like 140, but I hope to do better than that again soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif I hit the end of the speedo on the talon when it was bone stock though, and I've gone fast enough on the bike that after decelerating so i could move my head again it was sweeping past 165 going back down, so who knows how fast that was. Guessing high 170's since 5th redlines @ 172 and i was in 6th for a while.

The_Big_Weave

During the Sturgis rally last year I was riding the 36 mafia concert and some guy an a harley was trying to act like a bad ass and doing an indian larry, So I had to show him up, the cop clocked me at 110 mid wheelie...got a 1k ticket and my bike towed.

mooserage

Staff member
Most I've ever done was 140mph, just once, two months later the center diff locked on the freeway doing 80mph, luckily it locked pretty slowly and I managed to stop safely. I was just glad it wasn't when I was doing 140. It was fast, but I'd like to go faster some day. I want to do a full drivetrain overhaul first tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif.
-shamus

prove_it

Did the scenery stretch too, just like in Fast and Furious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned