The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Snow tire size?

656of1000

Hey, I'm ASE certified too...

...with experience... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Skinny tires are way better in the snow. To the OP, if you're running stock wheels, I'd recommend 185/65R15. I also agree with turbowop. Either way, just stay as skinny as possible, and you should like the results.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

I might try 185/65R15 next set of winter tires. No issues with sealing a bead for the tire wall against the rim?

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting DDM:

Im just giving in my 2c why i would prefer wider tires. If you don't know much about the topic then please don't post. Im ASE certified and have ALOT of experience with this.

Mother nature doesn;t give a f*** if you're "ASE certified"

There's some folks on here that have real world experience with these cars.

... might want to notice they're all saying the same basic thing ...

A thinner, taller tire *generally* works the best.

It's what I use ... but what do I know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

dandanger

I run 195/65-15 Michelin x-ice north (studded) on stock wheels. Couldn't bee better. Btw, conditions like toybreaker posted are normal for us here in Finland, like 4-5 months of the year. On heavier vehicles I owned I have used 205 or 215 wide tyres, more weight helps to push through the snow but in my opinion these Galants are not heavy.

kartorium

First hand experience on my legacy.

195/65/15 - Studded snow

205/70/15 - Studded snow

Granted these tires weren't the same tire and brand, but both were in great shape. The larger tire was leaps and bounds better in basically every condition I encountered (which is every condition possible - serious, I drive in snow and ice almost every day). That being said, I think the reason it performed better is the overall diameter, not the extra width. However, I've been toying with the idea of trying a 215/70 or 65 to see what happens.

I do encounter snow conditions where I'd rather stay on top than sink and bite, the snow is heavy and thick. Once you start sinking it kills momentum and control, I think this is where having some more girth would help. This is also the type of snow I seem to get stuck in the most. There are two ways to attack this snow, lug it and try to stay on top and maintain momentum, or just spin the tires and use hp to pull you through. Many times I'd rather just lug it and try to stay on top, but I can feel the tires crush through. I probably get high centered and stuck 5-10 times a season, mostly in this type of snow.

Most of you probably never deal with this on a weekly basis. For general road use, go with like has been said, more diameter and close to the stock width.

Last edited:

fuel

Quoting dandanger:
I run 195/65-15 Michelin x-ice north (studded) on stock wheels. Couldn't bee better. Btw, conditions like toybreaker posted are normal for us here in Finland, like 4-5 months of the year. On heavier vehicles I owned I have used 205 or 215 wide tyres, more weight helps to push through the snow but in my opinion these Galants are not heavy.

May not be heavy compared to todays 'compact' or 'mid-sized' vehicles but when they were first released tipping the scales at 1450-1500kgs (3200+ lbs) they were considered heavy!

IncorpoRatedX

not all of this is related, but it's a good read for the skinny/wide conversation

click

dandanger

Quoting fuel:

May not be heavy compared to todays 'compact' or 'mid-sized' vehicles but when they were first released tipping the scales at 1450-1500kgs (3200+ lbs) they were considered heavy!

Agree on this. But like said, take a modern 4wd midsized vehicle and they weigh at least 1600kg or more, many Audi's almost 2000kg, huh. That makes difference in grip/traction.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned