The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Seats reupholstery kit

Chief_Mak

I found an upholstery guy in Orange County that does pretty good work at a very reasonable price. I went to go check out his completed products yesterday and they were pretty impressive. Even better is that he can sell reupholstery kits with detailed "how to" instructions. Check out the links below.

click
click

Anyway, he has my seats right now and will be doing a write for our seats. He's only charging me less than half the price of the other auto upholstery shops that I went to. He said he can make the kits for our car, price will be dependent on what material you choose (he's estimating $250-$300 for all seats if we can get a group buy going and use regular materials like cloth or tweed). My seats will be black tweed with red double stitching with gray voleur for the middle sections. I'll post pictures of my seats when they are done. This would be a cheap option to replace the aging leather that most of us have in our GVR4's. Let me know if anyone is interested. For those in SoCal, he's offering free install on the upsholstery kit if you take apart the seats before bring it to him.

curtis

How did you know I had crx seats in my VR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually the crx recaro seats are like 26 pounds each and can be had cheap at a junkyard if you can find them. Sometimes you can find them on ebay as well.

tsiboy

hmmm. I've been contemplating taking the fabric from the evo8 rear bench I have and installing it on a GVR4 bench to make the rear seat install easier. maybe this guy can do it for cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

maroonmetallic

A cheap alternative to broken leather seats is buying the set of cloth ones I have laying around right now.

(Shameless plug) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Shawn

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The free install is a good deal. Doing upholstery well takes some practice to get it nice and tight with no wrinkles. I have done a few seat before.

curtis

Little tip from my airplane years. Use spray silicone on the fabric and the foam makes life easy to slide the covers on. One other thing is those gee whiz twin blade electric turkey knifes from the 70's your mom owns..... You can sculpt foam like clay with one of those monsters. Just be damn careful taking the blades apart, I cut the crap out of my hand with one of those sob's once years ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chief_Mak

Upholstery is a biatch! That's why I'm so glad he offered free install! I'm also lucky that I'm in Orange County twice a week for work so I'm not really going out of my way just to get this done. tsiboy, if you want the contact info for this guy, let me know and I'll PM you his number. He's in Anaheim, right off the 5 freeway on La Palma Ave.

allan619

im down for a set. looking for black leather sides and a matching interior gray suede for the middle of the seat. but i am interested to see how yours turn out. (subscribed)

thanks

Chief_Mak

GENO, if you are in LA. I can just PM you the guy's number. I would take advantage of that free install too since you are local. I'm actually going to take a look at the progress today since I'm down in Huntington Beach again anyway. Maybe it's far enough along so I can post some pictures.

jepherz

Staff member
So he will do them in similar leather too? I'm guessing a lot of people would buy the rear seat for sure where the sun has damaged the headrests.

Chief_Mak

The cost will obviously vary though on what material you want used. I'm sure he can still do it for a lot less than other upholstery shops. I just called him right now and he's currently making the patterns for our seats and he'll save those for us. I'm trying to talk him into giving us discounts if we can get a group buy going. Let me see how my seats turn out first. If it turns out as good as the CRX seats like the ones in the picture, I think we can get a lot more people to buy in.

mpt72

I'm gonna pm you for his contact info, I need to get the rear bench redone. The stitchin came apart by the headrest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barnes

Nice. I bet that is a million times more comfortable than the leather too.

Whoodoo

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif Wow! that looks like superb quality. Does he have a lot of material to choose from? I always loved the plaid print fabric in some german cars.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned