The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Scared to put in cams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepherz

Staff member
No offense, 91gvr4, but you couldn't do your headgasket either... This isn't the place to get arrogant; everybody learns at some point, right?

CP

Quote:
OMG he cant even put in his own cams?

Probably not, and am looking into paying a professional to do it for me.

I don't like messing with the timing stuff, since the first time was a disaster WITH the help of someone who'd done it a bunch of times.

Last edited:

Rausch

+1
Quote:

who? it sounds to me like everyone that chimed in as of late is planning to do the job...maybe some have never done it woth the motor in the car/timing already on, but who cares???

edit: i stand corrected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif ^^^^ but still!

OMG! head gaskets are SOOO easy, anyone can do it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Quote:

OMG go paint more sh*t blue in your engine bay.

This thread was from 2 years ago. I asked the original question, back in 05, then I put the cams in and has been running great since. He's asking the same question and getting tips on making it easier. Every post you make is absolutely retarded.

CP

Enough already. I just made an appointment to have it done for me in a few weeks. So let it be known to all that yes, I pay to have certain things installed/fixed on my car that I don't feel comfortable doing myself. So shoot me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Cy, look at the guys engine bay in "the unveiling" thread.

After that you wont take anything he says seriously.

I pay people to work on my car for stuff I dont have time to deal with or if I think I'll just screw it up why not just skip the headache if you can?

Rausch

Quote:
So let it be known to all that yes, I pay to have certain things installed/fixed on my car that I don't feel comfortable doing myself. So shoot me

yes sir, you should be shot for being honest, and a realist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Dude, there is nothing wrong with taking things somewhere. nothing. It's smarter to do that, than get into something you aren't cofortable with, and run into issues.

as far as the "OMG!" statement, he's just a tard. nobody here does everything themselves. nobody. i guarantee it. just think about trans rebuilds, machining engine components, etc. we all go outside for some things. thats life... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

belize1334

Quote:

Comments like this are not acceptable. Go find a Honda forum if you want to flame. Most people on here are friends, even if only online, and the "holier than thou" attitude is unwelcome.

Quote:
It's smarter to do that, than get into something you aren't cofortable with, and run into issues.

+1. In a community of DIYers it's easy to get the "I can do any job myself" attitude, but it's pointless. Do it yourself if you can do it better for cheaper. But if someone else can do the job and not mess it up and you can afford to pay them to do it...well that's the whole point of outsourcing isn't it?

Last edited:

speaking as a guy who does this stuff for others. No, it is not stupid to have someone who knows how to do this stuff, do it for you. while it can be straight forward it can also have pitfalls. If you need you stuff done right the first time & you are uncomfortable with it, outsource.

Hell, I had my drive-line done, could have done it myself but they could do a better job & have the right equipment. same goes for cams, for some it is not worth it to buy the stuff you need to do it right, especially if you don't do that kind of thing on a regular basis.

Could I build my own trans? probably but I don't want to f*** with it. can I do my own shortblock? yes, but once again I'd rather have the guys who do it every day handle that type of thing.

So I'll add to the contingent saying "go paint something else blue"!!

I'll also add, if you don't want people bashing you, step back from bashing others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Quote:
+1. In a community of DIYers it's easy to get the "I can do any job myself" attitude, but it's pointless. Do it yourself if you can do it better for cheaper. But if someone else can do the job and not mess it up and you can afford to pay them to do it...well that's the whole point of outsourcing isn't it?

Agreed. I can and have done everything you can imagine on a car. But now that I don't work as a mechanic anymore, I'd rather have someone else do the dirty, PITA stuff. My time is very valuable to me and its often worth it just to get someone else to do it. Especially anything under the car. Once you get spoiled by a lift, its hard to go back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rausch

^^+100 i miss having lifts (or a place to work on the damn thing at this point). when it comes to engines, i have always sent everything out for machining, and done the assembly myself. i have done a couple transmissions, but it took WAY too long, and was well worth the $$ to have them sent out. everything else i do myself. i got out of being a mechanic so i could spend the wrnch time on my toys, not everyone elses. i just got lucky with a job that keeps me in the field without having to get dirty or be "selling" crap.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheekychimp

Quote:
Enough already. I just made an appointment to have it done for me in a few weeks. So let it be known to all that yes, I pay to have certain things installed/fixed on my car that I don't feel comfortable doing myself. So shoot me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I'm really glad you said that. I think at a pinch I might be able to change my spark plugs. If you told me I had to gap the plugs, I'd have to take the car to the shop. Does that make me an idiot for taking on a project like mine? I don't think so, but it does infuriate me because I know if I could wrench as well as I can research and fabricate I'd have this damn car done already.

As for paying someone to do it. I would like to learn how to wrench so I could do stuff myself, but the way I look at it is I'm a cop, not a mechanic and I've never been trained for this. If you were walking down the street and saw a bank robbery would you go and deal with it yourself or call a cop? Well that's kind of how I feel when I look in the engine bay ... unfortunately!

I learned to wrench out of necessity. Bought a used truck that soon needed repairs and I couldn't afford to pay a mechanic all the time. Fortunately I've always been kind of mechanically inclined so I guess that helps, but I learned by jumping in and doing it, and reading as much info as I could from as many different places as I could. Now I only pay for things I can't do like alignments, or something I need done fast, but I certainly understand the person who wants to pay somebody else instead of getting dirty, skinning their knuckles, and worrying if the car will start when they're done. There have been several times late at night in my garage, tired and dirty, when I wish I could afford to just pay somebody to fix it for me.

i said that because he was being a f***ing retard about me not doing my own head gasket job

i wish i could post the monkey jerking off icon on here from widsm.org, id use the f*** out of that thing on this site. crankwalk.

Rausch

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif ok, so is today garbage day or something...all these threads getting littered up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Quote:
i said that because he was being a f***ing retard about me not doing my own head gasket job

i wish i could post the monkey jerking off icon on here from widsm.org, id use the f*** out of that thing on this site. crankwalk.

What the hell are you talking about?

cheekychimp

Quote:
Paul, you don't know how to gap your plugs? Srsly? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Well, I might just about find my way to a set of feeler gauges but I'll be damn honest and say I've got next to no hands on experience wrenching. I seriously couldn't change a timing belt, or a clutch and I certainly couldn't rebuild a tranny like you can Mark. It annoys me because I know if someone showed me I could do it the next time but I seriously think I am the least capable of everyone on this board.

I mean if you asked me to change the oil, I have no idea where to place the jack, I would seriously have to go look for the drain plug and I would have to ask what oil to put in. I am that bad honestly. Can you believe it from someone who had his pilot's licence at 17?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned