The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Safc 2 question

I installed the SAFC2 and the REVs do not match my actual rev on the tach. I installed it using the galant install from the deleted vfaq. Any idea?

Wendy
Kicking Cancers ass.

Btw....It is about 1500 rpms off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

gtluke

IIRC you have to set the AFC to 4 cyl, and we are wasted spark so really it's 2
there is a setting somewhere. RTM

Yup. You've got an AFC in your car, there's your problem!

Seriously RPM x Throttle is the worst way to "tune" a turbo car. Your not accounting for actual airflow, you are tuning by how hard you step on the pedal.

And that doesn't always co-inside with how much airflow your turbo is making at X Throttle position. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

It's good for N/A cars that never see more than 0psi, though.

Have you used a logging program to verify your RPM the ECU is seeing?

If your car is chipped, why bother with the AFC at all?

Yes, proper connection. Looking up at another post. It is to be set at 2 cylinders correct? I have always run my 1g this way. Thanks in advance!

Wendy

prove_it

Quoting number638:
Yup. You've got an AFC in your car, there's your problem!

Seriously RPM x Throttle is the worst way to "tune" a turbo car. Your not accounting for actual airflow, you are tuning by how hard you step on the pedal.

And that doesn't always co-inside with how much airflow your turbo is making at X Throttle position. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

It's good for N/A cars that never see more than 0psi, though.

Have you used a logging program to verify your RPM the ECU is seeing?

If your car is chipped, why bother with the AFC at all?

Uh what? your not modifying the tps signal. Your modifying the airflow signal by a linear percentage across the whole fuel map. Afc's are a great BASIC tuning device. Don't knock what works. They function the exact same as the fuel adjust in DSMLINK. So does that make DSMLINK bad too?

Wendy: there are two possible rpm wires on the ecu.
ECULINK
Check this, Either pin 109 or PIN 21 Will supply a tach signal. Only one will WORK for a Tach Signal though. I learned this the hard way. Check this out and check your base settings. On the right pin (i think it's 109) you should select 4cyl. Yea it's wasted spark but this is a TACH output wire so it already adjusted for a correct reading.

Quote:
Uh what? your not modifying the tps signal. Your modifying the airflow signal by a linear percentage across the whole fuel map. Afc's are a great BASIC tuning device. Don't knock what works. They function the exact same as the fuel adjust in DSMLINK. So does that make DSMLINK bad too?

I *Never* said you are modifying the TPS.

What I did say was: Tuning TPS Vs RPM is not good on a turbo car. Just because you are at 20% throttle, doesn't mean you are making a certain static airflow, especially with a turbo.

At 20% you are building boost linearly, and not at the static projected airflow that one would think.

Don't even get me started about "The link". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

And with 720cc injectors, this is not a basic setup anymore.

So, ditch the AFC ECU "tricker" and tune it the right way, is all I'm suggesting.

These type of things tend to stick with you when you tune cars for a living, sorry to intervene.

Good luck getting your RPM to work correctly.

Thanks for the great input guys. I have figured it out. I had it in pin 21 but had it set on 2 cylinders. I changed it to 4 cylinders and its dead on. Also, this is a temporary tool that I had available. I assure you when I can get V3, I am all over it. Please remember, I am old school. ie....tuning by the seat of my pants so any electronics just makes things easier for me. V3 here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hehehehehe

Wendy

Wendy, do you have any pictures of your setup?

You have been working pretty hard at this thing from what I've seen, I'd like to see how it looks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, actually I posted a up and running thread for 1707 in general discussion. I have been working hard at this for some time now and it has paid off. I thank all you guys for your support!

Wendy

Quoting prove_it:
Afc's are a great BASIC tuning device. Don't knock what works. They function the exact same as the fuel adjust in DSMLINK. So does that make DSMLINK bad too?

You are deluding yourself if you think an AFC works the same way as a DSMLink. The DSMLink fuel sliders are not related to the airflow whatsoever. On a DSMLink you are DIRECTLY controlling the openloop injector pulsewidth, leaving the airflow signal 100% original. The DSMLink does have MAS Compensation sliders, but those aren't designed to be used for openloop AFR correction, but more for airflow irregularities from things like a hacked MAS.
The big downfall of the AFC, IMHO, is that it can't make load-based corrections, which is why many people have converted it from using the TPS to using a MAP sensor instead, since the MAP sensor more accurately predicts how much load the engine is under. The problem isn't too bad or noticeable when you are only making small corrections to the airflow, since you are still on the stock ECU load maps. But, when you start trying to use the AFC for large compensations, like 650cc+ injectors, the AFC is a rather poor choice. Its where I, along with most of the GVR-4/DSM community, was at 6 years ago. Removing more airflow with the AFC meant more timing advance, which meant more knock issues. It was a constant, losing battle.
AFC MAP Sensor Hack

turbowop

I agree that using the AFC solely to tune large injectors is a poor choice. She has mentioned in another thread that she has a chip for compensation though. That said, I think using an AFC for small adjustments is perfectly fine. Back when I used a DSMchip/AFC/2gMas in 1051 driveability was awesome. In town, up mountain passes, everything. Fuel trims were always right on and knock due to high timing advance wasn't an issue. And the car went high 11's with that setup to boot.

prove_it

I didn't realize you were trying to compensate large injectors with the afc. Yea that doesn't work. Like Jeff said all you end up doing is adding timing to an already over timed map.

Correct, I do have a 720s set on my ecu chip. This is just minor tuning. I will have V3 soon enough. In my 1g FWD back in 2005 on a big 16g non evo, my personal best was 12.1 @ 116 on an AFC with I nice timing curve on TMO. Best is My 1g AWD was 11.8@115 same setup on steet tires. I am exited to get an advance on technology and really get something out of this heavy car. I would bet the way the car sits right now on slipping at 4700...shhhhhhh 3bolt. I could must a mid 12. Thanks again for all the advice.

Wendy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned