The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rubber fuel hose, burst...twice

SleepinGVR4

OK so I have a Toyota supra fuel pump and a 6" rubber fuel hose that connects the pump to the bottom of the sending unit.

I've blown a hole in it twice now. First time was about 8 months ago and the second time was yesterday. First time it burst was when I came outside from the movies and my car wouldn't start due to zero fuel pressure. And yesterday it happened right after I accelerated some what aggressively and when I came to a stop light my car stalled. I limped it to a parking lot and figured it had to be the same problem again.

Anyway I was wondering if the ethanol they add to the fuel would cause this rubber fuel hose to break down over time? But its not like I'm running e85 or anything its just 93 with the 10% ethanol they put in all the gas here in PA.

This guy at auto zone, said some local guy came in and said he has been having the same problem. I probably have some braided -6AN line I could put on there. It would probably keep the hose from bursting but I guess it could still get a hole in the rubber and leak past the stainless braid. I don't know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Or should I just get some line approved for ethanol?

Oh and huge thanks to Hill (1941Galant) for coming and bringing me tools to help me fix this problem again!

GVR4_1057

Were you using fuel injection line? Or just regular fuel line?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting GVR4_1057:
Were you using fuel injection line? Or just regular fuel line?

This comment is the key though. If you are using hose intended for low pressure fuel systems and not fuel injection, it will not survive long.

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting Andy_S:
You have to use special in-tank fuel hose. Regular fuel line isn't meant to be submersed in fuel.

This^^ Check Napa as I know they sell it but it is very costly.

Dan D

The proper line should be marked SAE30R10. This is the designation for hose compatible with an in-tank submersible application.

vapid

Its SAE J30R10, technically. But I'm sure you would've found it anyway.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned