The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Reverse lights not coming on

JCorbo25

Just bought the car and didn't work when we picked it up. Checked the sensor on the transmission and unplugged/replugged it, no luck. Maybe a bad sensor now? I looked at the tail lights and the reverse lights aren't blown out.

I'll check for a fuse in the morning, just didn't think of it at the time.

Also, there are two plugs that go no where in the trunk tail lights. Lots of changes from DSMs...

supa_saloon

i ran into this issue before, you might wanna check on the reverse light switch connected to the transmission. it might be bad. that's the issue i had for some time, i had the reverse switch replaced and now it works fine.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting JCorbo25:
Just bought the car and didn't work when we picked it up. Checked the sensor on the transmission and unplugged/replugged it, no luck. Maybe a bad sensor now? I looked at the tail lights and the reverse lights aren't blown out.

I'll check for a fuse in the morning, just didn't think of it at the time.

Also, there are two plugs that go no where in the trunk tail lights. Lots of changes from DSMs...

If the sensor only serves as a switch to ground, you can ground the plug to ground and get the reverse light circuit activated.
If nothing were to happen, then you have further issue in the system and need to check the switch and beyond.

toybreaker

iconoclast
The diagram for this circuit can be found in the library

A quick look at the diagram shows the reverse light switch is on the power side of things (the bulbs are grounded at the rear of the vehicle.)

... so it goes without saying if you ground any part of this circuit in the engine compartment it will cost you a fuse or two

If you suspect an issue with the switch you can pull it and check it with an ohmeter for a change in continuity as the plunger is depressed.

You can also unplug the switch and bridge the terminals in the harness connector (carefully) with a paperclip or some such, and check to see if the lights come on (will need the key on for this test)

galantrevolution

I had the same problem with my two vr4 and I just replace the sensor and it work fine

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned