The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacing the rusted front rocker panel, help ID this part

Eaglesfly

In my research using CAPS to gather up necessary parts for the rebuild of 754, I came across this part, Mistu part MB549405 and MB549406. I need to replace the rusted out rocker panel sheetmetal behind the front doglegs. They are labeled in CAPS as SIDE SILL, FR Floor, FR INR LH and RH respectively. Can anyone here verify that these are the correct parts I'm looking for? The picture in CAPS isn't all that great. These appear to be available for about $30 a piece; much easier than cutting them out of a donor car or fabbing up replacements. Take a look at the picture of what I'm needing to replace and the screengrab from CAPS. Thanks!

Galantvr4559

That looks like the right part or u can just cut out rust and use sheet metel to make ur own and weld it in.

misterfixit

Thats the a pillar extension piece. you'll need a rocker panel too to catch all of that. The rocker comes right up to the back edge of the arch. The outer 'A' pillar starts at the top of the rocker. Pull whats left of the fender and you'll see it much clearer.

This should explain it better.
One thing you could do is slice that whole lot out of a standard galant. Does it look as bad anywhere else?

Rich

Eaglesfly

Thanks, that was the information I was looking for! Yes, I have sourced a Galant GS-R that a buddy of mine has that I should be able to cut out everything I need. The only places that have bad rust like that are the lower front rocker panels on both sides. The radiator core support is pretty nasty too; I plan on cutting that out and welding in a donor as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned