The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacing front axles

yeah, my driver's side one is clicking like crazy, i figured i would just replace them both for peace of mind. so if i order the complete axle for each side, are there any other parts that will need to be replaced, or is it just a straight bolt-on affair (no repacking boots or anything)?

natoe

im confused about that too... the intermediate shaft has the carrier bearing, then the green part of the joint where the CV axle connects, this boot on mine is torn in half.

so my question is, does the new cv axle portion come with both joints on it for the spindle AND the connection to the intermediate shaft?? or just the one for the spindle?

i was thinking it would have to come with both to be a bolt on affair, in which case the joint on the I-shaft would need to be pried off which it doesnt really want to. am i making any sense? someone clear this up for me please.
thanks

(basically do i need a new intermediate shaft and axle, or just axle??)

Last edited:

Quote:
im confused about that too... the intermediate shaft has the carrier bearing, then the green part of the joint where the CV axle connects, this boot on mine is torn in half.

so my question is, does the new cv axle portion come with both joints on it for the spindle AND the connection to the intermediate shaft?? or just the one for the spindle?

i was thinking it would have to come with both to be a bolt on affair, in which case the joint on the I-shaft would need to be pried off which it doesnt really want to. am i making any sense? someone clear this up for me please.
thanks

(basically do i need a new intermediate shaft and axle, or just axle??)

The shafts will come inner & outer joints with boots. the "Jack shaft" & bearing are serviced seperatly. the jackshaft bearing seems to be a very solid peice & I have only had to replace one or two in the course of working on mitsus & dsm's & those were, I think, both due to external causes.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned