The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Replacement steering wheel compatibility?

EfiniX

I'm 6'4 and I fit like a glove in my vr4. My only consideration is that my knees are bowed out just a touch in order to stay under the stock steering wheel. I'm looking for slightly smaller options. Any suggestions? Can I put an Evo wheel in the galant? If I go out shopping, will any wheel/adaptor for a 1g DSM work?

Thanks in advance!

citymunky

I have Evo 8 steering wheel and it's overall bigger that stock steering wheel for the simple fact it has a airbag. A 1g DSM is smaller that a stock GVR4 wheel, no adapter kit needed and they are pretty cheap. Other that than I'll look into a aftermarket wheel.

Yes a 1g adapter will work on a GVR4?

GVR47111K

I have a Grant GT in my whip and that's the way I like it. I never seen a OEM GVR4 steering wheel but I know a small steering wheel when I see one and this thing is small but also awesome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mitsuturbo

"Whip"???

WTF. When did .org become B.E.T.?

Anyway... since the factory wheel is 15". A 13" wheel is about as small as you're going to want to go, and even that may end obscuring your view of the cluster, although just a little, and moving your head a bit is an easy way round that. (I've been dealing with a 13" wheel i got with a parts car for years, and in fully intend to replace it soon) However, i wonder if an additional 1" of clearance is really going to make that big a difference.

If it is, then by all means, find a nice 330mm wheel. Grant makes quite a few, if you're looking for cheap (that's what i have now). Momo has a few models in the 12.5-13" range as well. As stated previously, an Evo wheel is not going to suit your requirements for additional clearance.

EfiniX

Thanks, and be nice to Will. It isn't like you didn't know what he was talking about, even if it's because you remember the character bumps from GTA-Vice City.

Will, I'd love to see a photo of your wheel if it isn't too much trouble.

GSX_TC

Quoting GVR47111K:
I never seen a OEM GVR4 steering wheel

Now you have..

img.php

JNR

13"?!? Reminds me of those chain wheels that were hot with the low riders in the 70's/80's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, my friend had one in his nova (not chain, but a 13") and damn was that thing way to small!

Maybe a 14" would be a nice change, but I would think it could start blocking the instruments when it gets too small.

Have a nice wood wheel I want to put in and it's just a hair smaller than the oem, but it's genuine and a nice alum. spoke (painted) and should look nice and function wheel; just need to make an adapter for it and not sure what to do with the hood button (don't want anything cheap).

Anyhow, never had any issues with the oem wheel or its size, but my 'leather' is getting dry rotted on it, or else I'd just keep it in (kind of like it)...just glad we don't have to worry about stupid airbags.

GVR47111K

Quoting mitsuturbo:

"Whip"???

WTF. When did .org become B.E.T.?

Yesterday, when I used the term "Whip" to describe my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Quoting EfiniX:
Thanks, and be nice to Will. It isn't like you didn't know what he was talking about, even if it's because you remember the character bumps from GTA-Vice City.

Will, I'd love to see a photo of your wheel if it isn't too much trouble.

Gladly, I should be able to upload tomorrow after I awake from a food induced coma.

Quoting GSX_TC:
Quoting GVR47111K:
I never seen a OEM GVR4 steering wheel

Now you have..

img.php

But...what I actually meant was that I had never seen a GVR4 OEM steering wheel IRL. So now I have seen internet pictures of a both LHD and RHD OEM GVR4 steering wheels.

fuel

LHD and RHD steering wheels are the same. Only difference between wheels are between the JDM (MMC badged) and export (Mitsubishi badged) center covers.

Jesus_Negros

What's BET and I believe the Evo X steering wheel is smaller IIRC.

James

^^ can't tell if trolling or serious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Black entertainment television

citymunky

Quoting Turbro_Negro:

channel 36. or channel 1036 for the fancy people with HD channels.

Jesus_Negros

Quoting citymunky:
Quoting Turbro_Negro:

channel 36. or channel 1036 for the fancy people with HD channels.

Only channels I watch is 1012 and 1055

jnava

Staff member
"WTF. When did .org become B.E.T.?"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GVR47111K

Sorry I am so late at uploading these pics but I was a bit preoccupied with school and work.

Tilt up.

Tilt down.

Detail.

The only issues I face with this setup is not being able to see a small insignificant portion of the dash/cluster. Mainly the cruise control light, the windshield wiper controller, and the rear defrost switch. Other than that the thing is neat and I think it matches the interior pretty well, imo. I drive it with the tilt down and I'm 5'10". Hope this helped you out.

EfiniX

Nice, and the stock radio to boot! Thanks for the pictures.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts