The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing A/C system

mooserage

Staff member
I am going to remove the A/C system as it doesn't work anyway. Here is my list of questions:
As I understand it, my first step is to empty the system, after that can I just go to town on removing parts?
Should I remove the condenser fan? does it ever work without the system?
Any other important things to keep in mind?
Thanks.
-shamus

BoostedAWD91

Yea empty the system and then u can remove everything. If I was you, I'd leave the fan and rewire as a secondary.

mooserage

Staff member
Anyone know where to rent the equipment to empty the system? Edit: Answered my own question, you must be certified to empty it, so for anyone wondering, just call up a shop that does a/c stuff and get a quote.
-shamus

Last edited:

Terry Posten

I am removing it and using the room to mount my oil cooler. And then move my rad forward and install larger pullers.

At least that is how I see it in my minds eye. I hope it works out.

raptorWagon

Quoting mooserage:
Anyone know where to rent the equipment to empty the system? Edit: Answered my own question, you must be certified to empty it, so for anyone wondering, just call up a shop that does a/c stuff and get a quote.
-shamus

I put a drip pan underneath and cracked open a line. As soon as it's open just keep your hands away until it's done.

As for what Terry said, +1, that's what I want to do, mount cooler and move the radiator back some to give me more clearance it and the turbo.

I'm a Ferry ride away if you want any help.

mooserage

Staff member
Actually, I'm on the other side of the sate at WSU in Pullman, I just don't bother to change my location evertime I move back and forth. This summer I may take you up on that offer. I was under the impression that my R12 system contained many harmful CFCs and figured I'd be nice to mother earth and not release it to the atmosphere?

That makes three of us on the same track for mounting an oil cooler haha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

raptorWagon

Oh well I'll be here. It probably is, but there was definitely liquid coming out, I opened the line up at the firewall. Not all the way, just loosened the upper line enough that it would come out and had a drip pan underneath waiting to catch it all.

raptorWagon

To do a full, complete removal yes, there is a evaporator by the heater core..in the dash. Though if you remove it and not replace it with an empty box, your heat won't work too well from what I've read up on it.

I'm leaving mine in there for now, all I have left to pull is the condenser and if it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll be pulling that out.

Last edited by a moderator:

donkeylips

I like to leave the evaporator. That way when you press the A/C button it can still dry the air, giving a similar effect to air conditioning, just with warmer air. It also helps with defrosting, and its super easy to remove everything under the hood and you're done.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned