The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Regular Galant engine versus VR4 and more..........

fuel

^^ I thought USDM VR-4s were 195hp?

cheekychimp

Yeah you are right Phil, it was only the JDM cars that left the factory just north of 200. That side mount intercooler the USDM cars got must have been really restrictive!

I guess at 175 horsepower the normally aspirated AMG was actually pretty impressive for it's time.

Last edited:

fuel

yeah but that's Japanese horsepower, and no where near as much torque as the VR-4!

cheekychimp

True, we were talking about this yesterday. Some friends of mine were taking part in the Hong Kong Oxfam Trailwalker and we ran their support team for 30 hours. We spent all day driving up and down hills lugging kit and the VR4 just climbs as if they aren't there. I even drove home with six blokes in the car (I reckon we averaged 90 kgs each) and it was as if they weren't there.

That said, I was surprised how quick the GTi was for a supposed 145 horsepower car. I'd like to get that car over here.

gregates

Wanted to share some images of our baby as she sits today.
img.php

The following show my situation with my roof and my seats.
img.php

img.php

I love our car. EVERY time I drive it, I feel my late wife being with us still. As origianl owners, Patti drove it from 1991 until she could no longer drive in 2007.

gregates

Hopefully not too much of a rookie question

For the 1990 to 2000 Galants, what were the different engine options available? (displacements? HP? Transmissions? injected/carb? turbo? FWD/AWD? etc etc

Last edited:

gregates

<b>To the Galant VR4.ORG Community,</b>

Evan (EHMOTORSPORTS) sent me a link to this thread. I had no idea it was going on?
The thread is titled “<b>Part donation for greg’s turbo build</b>”. Here is a link to it!!!
click

I posted this message in both threads to make sure I caught you all to express my gratitude.

When Evan told me, I was so overwhelmed, I could only say, God Bless you and thank you! I was so emotional, no other words would come out.

So I wanted to make sure I posted something here to let you all know how still overwhelmed and thankful I and my family are for your kindness.

The last 9 years have been challenging to say the least. My grandfather used to say, "If it wasn't for bad luck, this family would have no luck at all!". And that has been our family since January 2005. We have had our share, my wife's cancer and passing, failure of our family business with the recession, foreclosure of our family home of 15 years, repossession of vehicles, near death Cancer for my 19 year old son, my health etc etc etc.

The only thing that has been consistent is our 1991 Mitsubishi Galant. We are original owners purchased from Jim Fiore Motors in good ole Altoona PA! Patti drove it up until her death in 2008. And it has been there each and every day during all of the above noted crises in our family's lives. It gets us back and forth to my son's chemotherapy sessions.

So my dream was to win the lottery and get her rebuilt. They can't take away our dreams can they? Still not sure what Evan will be able to do for her. She needs a lot of work.

Just wanted to say Thank You to all of you (as well as anyone else who joins this thread later).

To be able to drive 150 miles somewhere and not have to worry that we will break down, would be a wonderful luxury that I have not had in many many years.

Christmas season is the toughest for me and my family. Very depressing unfortunately. But your kindness has added a ray of hope and sunlight.

Thank you again,

Greg Gates

gregates

I have received a couple of PM and responses as to how our family is doing since our last update.

There is some great news and some OK news.

The great news is that my youngest son Devin had his “last” chemotherapy session last week. As you may remember he was diagnosed with a rare form of Leukemia in December of 2010 at 19. He was given a 50/50 chance of a six month survival at that time. His diagnoses came only a year and a half after losing his mom (my wife Patti) to Inflammatory Breast Cancer, after her courageous 3.5 year battle.

During the past 4 years this kid endured hundreds of intravenous liquid chemotherapy sessions, 26 lumbar punctures (spinal taps) and 8 bone marrow extracts. But rather than all the details, he beat it. Our thanks to all for the thoughts and prayers.

I have, since our last update, been hospitalized again for my heart. But this time after stress tests etc, they put in two stents. I also am going to cardiac physical rehab, 3 x per week. I have completely changed my diet for the better. So between taking my meds properly, eating right and exercising, I just might be around for longer.

Our precious Galant is still running each day. Don’t want to chance it for a longer than 25 mile round trip. Noticing the shacks, springs and whatever are pretty shot (don’t ever want to accidentally hit a pot hole LOL! But just like my old body, it starts every day and gets us from point A to point B and back. I give her a pat on the dash every day and thank her! I sometimes think Patti is watching over her 1991 Galant.

Thanks for asking. I will post this in both appropriate threads.

If you wish to read about Devin’s fight with cancer. I have used a Facebook page to do that. Just read down the page and click on “older” posts to read more history. It is under “gregates” on FB.

minneSNOWta

Yes!

fuel

You know Galant has just one L right?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
But there is so much Love being put back into this car, that it has ballooned into a Gallant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
It's just a gallant Galant.

gregates

Quote:
It's just a gallant Galant.

Maybe to you (iceman69510 ), it is JUST a gallant Galant, BUT not to my family.

It is a memory of a beautiful lady who drove this gallant Galant every day from 1991 to January 2008. She let this earth in May of 2008. She was too weak to drive those last months.

img.php

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Greg,

That was no disrespect or anything negative intended. Something being gallant is considered a compliment. I completely understand the significance and emotional meaning to your family. I still think of my dad when I use his tools, and he was killed 36 years ago.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned