The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Recipe for 16g torque

donniekak

Funny thing is we put arp's in the rods to help hold them together at high rpm's. The rods ate themselves right around 4500-5000 rpm's.

Nate

Just another data point, I'd run 2.25" IC piping for this sort of thing. When I was running a 20g, I had 2.25" piping and stock cams, and that setup made crazy torque. Full boost by about 3500. Lots of fun to drive around with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting JSchleim18:
If you're starting new:

6 bolt block
9.0:1 or better pistons
Aluminum rods
Sonata Head
Evo 3 intake manifold
1G Throttle Body
2.5" IC piping

Basically, keep things somewhat small but not small enough where you are hurting power. Volumetric efficiency is key here.

Very well said. You've added the rally cams from Kelford too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif The aluminum rods aren't necessary.

I would add the Evo 3 or FP exhaust manifold, Evo 3 o2 housing with a 2.5" exhaust, 720cc injectors, a rewired Walbro 255 fuel pump, afpr, upgrade the fuel feed line from the filter to the rail to -6AN, mated with an Evo 8-10 sized fmic.

donniekak

Quoting Nate:
Just another data point, I'd run 2.25" IC piping for this sort of thing. When I was running a 20g, I had 2.25" piping and stock cams, and that setup made crazy torque. Full boost by about 3500. Lots of fun to drive around with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How much boost? If my 20g sees more than 25 psi before 4000 rpms it surges really bad. I'm running 30, and i don't have an electronic boost controller, so i have to be careful with the pedal, until the revs go up.

Launch

1G head needs Cyclone Intake manifold working properly. Or use 2G head (personally I would opt for 2G for tq/street characteristics, not to mention superior cooling)
2.5" piping, HKS TB elbow, Fp1 Cams stright up, 660s or bigger. Running a hks vpc for my 16g setup but something your familiar with.... Good quality boost controler or dsm_link and a boost spike down low ( 16G can spike over 35psi down low).... Torco fuel additive, Brad penn racing oil, and supercool water wetter ftw

Nate

I was running about 25psi, but that was 12 years ago at this point. I don't remember it having any surge issues, but it only had a 5 degree clip on the turbine wheel, so maybe that helped.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned