The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear Mount radiator

So I am going to start working on my mirage soon here, and thinking of changing the radiator to the rear of the car. I want to get the weight distributed better, and I think moving the IC back further, and moving the radiator. I also am thinking about changing to an MR2 power steering pump, and electric water pump. What are the limitations of moving the cooling system to the rear?

belize1334

Well, you'll have no natural airflow over the radiator. You'll have to rely entirely on fans to affect the cooling. That is unless you start cutting away at the body. Where exactly in the rear are you thinking of putting it?

The car is going to be a full time attack car, so hacking doesn't really bother me. I am thinking of putting it inbetween the strut towers, using some vents on the rear doors to feed and putting vents on the trunk to pull air out. By doing this I have a lot more space for a long runner exhaust manifold, as of now with the radiator in the chassis support I only have 9in of space. With no radiator that gives me much more real estate. This is only an idea right now, as I do have a scirrocco radiator and fans that cool the car just fine.

Barnes

I think the hard part will be to make sure that the hot air generated by the radiator is exhausted out of the engine compartment. I could see a situation where could kind of sit in it's own eddie and just stir air around instead of passing clean cold air over the radiator and exhausting it out somewhere.

Are you going to run a stock k-frame? I think running a tube a-frame would open a tremendous amount of vent area.

G

Staff member
The cars i've seen run it in the rear have it mounted under the bumper in a v-format.

Dialcaliper

The other problems might be the water pump and the radiator piping. The electric water pump is going to draw a ton of current, so you'll need a bigger alternator to power it all. Electric pumps are in general less efficient than belt driven ones (since the alternator is not 100% efficient). You'll have a net loss of engine power.

Also, a pair of 2" stainless pipes or hoses full of water running to the back of the car is going to add around 30 lbs of water plus another 30 or so pounds of stainless piping. Rubber hose would probably be about the same. So about 50-60 pounds of added weight.

cOmpressor

That's a good point Luigi, better weight distribution but more of it. I would suggest looking into keeping the radiator in the front but angling it forward to clear up space. I haven't seen it done on a Galant or Mirage but on other cars. Not exactly a V mount but just at a 30* angle so up top there is a few more inches.

Barnes

Wait. I'm dumb. You mean rear as in the rear of the car? In the trunk area?

Barnes

Lurlurlur. I can't believe I'm an engineer sometimes. Hehe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

14u2nV

Why not just come up with something like this and do away with the radiator completely. You could run a few of these down the frame rails, or strategically put them in different spots, but they would be easier than a radiator. Granted, you would need some with bigger in/outlets, but I'm sure theres something.

tube_radiator.jpg

curtis

A buddy of mine did this to his rabbit truck. He had a turbo VR6 motor in the little truck and had to but the radiator in the rear. He ran some rubber hose to and from the radiator and mounted it flat under the truck with a sheet metal scoop and fans pulling through it. Go to the local junkyard and look for a early 90's Passat or corrado fan set up. You could always mount the fuel cell in the backseat area and cut out the spare tire hole and mount the radiator there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned