The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Re-Skin a GVR4 Roof, has anybody done this before?

DR1665

That Evo 6 thread and pictures is pretty useful. Shame you aren't closer. I've got a sunroof skin off 195/2000 at this end that I'm going to have to patch over since rally cars can't have sunroofs. Removing isn't that difficult so much as time consuming. Unless you're a magician, I don't see how you're going to NOT punch through the mating surface here and there.

And welding isn't entirely important from what I gather, either. Didn't weld that CF skin on the Evo, right? It's been a while, but I've spoken with a couple fabricators in the last couple years who told me I should just re-attach with some of that adhesive they use to assemble Corvettes. That's my plan, anyway.

citymunky

I have the roof off 832/2000, I plan on using it to figure how deep is too deep to drill.

Quoting toybreaker:
One lesson I learned the hard way is cleecos + thin carbon panels = potential heartache

Use a fiber washer under the cleeco to prevent cracking/chipping around the holes! A fiber washer will spread the loading out, preventing cracking and done correctly, there won't even be a witness mark.

ymmv

You make a good point, this was info learned from watching others make that mistake when I worked on F18's, but we used normal metal washers not fiber washers.

Last edited:

EMX5636

I would love to do this to #108 because my roof has some dents in it where it looks like someone sat or stood on it. I was wanting to carbon overlay it because I don't feel up to the task of removing/straightening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned