The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Potential VR4 Owner

Hello everyone. My name is Brian and I dont actually own a VR4 yet.

I got into some trouble with cars in highschool and have not actually owned a car for about two years, and before that I only drove a CR-V that was owned by my mother. For the past two years I have owned motorcycles instead. It is likely that I will be moving to CA for grad school, in the San Jose/San Francisco area and I am looking to buy a car. I have love for all cars (I am a Jalop thru and thru) but I have a soft spot for nostalgiac Japanese rides and homologation specials, which is what brings me to the VR-4. I see it as a future classic and while not specifically a homologation special, its close enough.

I have always liked the understated looks of the VR4 and I am hoping to buy one out in California, in fact I am looking at purchasing Ron's from the sale thread. I am curious as to the running costs of a VR-4. I would like to keep the car fairly stock to preserve the legacy, but I realize that most of these cars are almost 20 years old and I may have to replace some things. I will only have about $2000 budgeted each year for maintenence for the next two years. Is this a reasonable amount for a VR-4? Are there any things I should be wary of before I enter into ownership?

I have a full tool set I will be bringing with me and I am fairly mechanically inclined, with my most advanced experience being the carb work I did on my Suzuki GS500.

jepherz

Staff member
From my experience with vr4s (both stock and modified) if you aren't beating the living hell out of the car, $2000 per year is more than enough to maintain it.

The stock car I have now hadn't even run for more than 5 years, and including the cost of the car I haven't probably put $2000 into it. This includes maintenance items like timing belt/water pump and replacing all of the ball jounts/tie rod ends, spark plugs/wires, etc. I've owned it for over 1.5 years and it makes a great daily driver.

The only thing I can complain about on the car is the gas mileage; I'm only pulling about 24 max on the highway. I know there are obvious reasons for this, but it's my only complaint being my daily driver.

DR1665

Agree with Jeff.

$2000 should be MORE than enough to keep up on maintenance, so long as you don't go off the deep end with mods (fool's errand in California) or otherwise half-ass things. I've been daily driving one with a hacked airbox, K&N, and just under double the stock boost level in Phoenix for the better part of two years. I don't think I've spent $2000 in cumulative fluid changes, plugs, and replacing a tcase that committed suicide on the highway.

Two grand is definitely enough to maintain a DD. These are great cars to own, and a load of fun to drive.
Your right, in another year these cars will be considered "classics". That means you can put classic tags and insurance on it. Which is very cheap I might add. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

in VA it's 25 years old to be a classic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif (my car is registered in VA)

EDIT: BTW I'm from Roanoke, VA, the military made me come out to AZ lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diego

Off topic and may only depend on state laws, but I have a '54 chevy 5 window truck, and I couldn't get classic plates for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif... again its just state laws.

On topic; 2k is a lot it really just depends on if you can keep your hand outta the wallet for fast parts and tunes.

mikus

wanted to comment that $2K is more than enough --- IF you do work yourself. All the knowledge you'd ever need for general upkeep is on this board, it's just a matter of using it and being patient.

I buy cars like the vr4 for teh zen hobby of fixing them, but I had a few times where I wanted to take it to AMS because I was frustrated... keep your cool and $2k/year input will lead to a top specimen.

Diego,
You have a 54 and can't get classic tags on it? Should be up for antiques. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif Would be here. State laws way differ I guess.

Mikewitdaspike,
I have family in Ronoake. Are you Semper Fi?

ApexHunter

Welcome, first of all. As far as $2k/year, i'd have to agree with most of the above as well. If you select a car that is mechanically sound to begin with and you keep up with ALL maintenance, $2k a year should be more than enough.

Quoting TctclMvPhase:
I see it as a future classic and while not specifically a homologation special, its close enough.

It sounds like you appreciate the VR-4 for it's heritage and all around badassness in concept, but there is one thing that needs clearing up. I'm under the impression the e39a Galant VR-4 is a homologation special through and through. As far as i know, it was homologated for F.I.A. Group A rally. Check this out:
click

Quoting Dbossman:
Diego,
You have a 54 and can't get classic tags on it? Should be up for antiques. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif Would be here. State laws way differ I guess.

Mikewitdaspike,
I have family in Ronoake. Are you Semper Fi?

No sir, Chair Force /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Street Surgeon

My Advice: Don't f'n do it...... Seriously.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned