The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Piston and rod combo?

EMX5636

My old Eclipse dyno'd a hair over 450whp with a stock block/head (just cams). Just ARP's and a Mitsu MLS. Had 145k on it when I started, parted the car out with 174K and I beat the piss out of it. Ran great and still had 140psi compression when torn down.

As far as good forged street pistons, I like Wiseco's (but have built a lot of engines with Ross as well). My rods (R&R aluminums) have held up great for daily duty, even though no one believes me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

presterone

well with the goals I have in mind I think I will leave stock pistons and rods then. Thanks for the input everyone. I think buying good bearings and rings and having a shop blueprint and balance the engine might be money well spent. I like this car alot, its so easy to work on.

kama1

Im leaning towards the evo 9 on a 1g rod combo since im missing 2 pistons.

Quoting turbowop:
Actually, I'm not sure. I've never needed one. Maybe they're not as available anymore, but ten years ago it seemed like guys were always getting them from importers with like 40k miles on them.

Had a 91 front clip last year that had 56000 kms with complete service history
A friend of mine got an evo 3 clip with 36000 kms last year also.

Last edited:

EMX5636

Quoting presterone:
well with the goals I have in mind I think I will leave stock pistons and rods then. Thanks for the input everyone. I think buying good bearings and rings and having a shop blueprint and balance the engine might be money well spent. I like this car alot, its so easy to work on.

If you have access to a digital scale, measure the pistons and rods individually. Balancing unless you are building an all out race engine isn't really required on a 180* 4cyl crankshaft. I know the difference between my heaviest and lightest piston/rod combo was only about a gram.

turbofonz

stock bottom end is win. see sig.

turbofonz

Naw I only went once to IFO last year@ NED. Usually go to Lebanon but I'd like to make it to a few more of NED's events. Went to Englishtown last weekend, but got there too late to race:-\

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned