The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Parking brake length?

JackbNimble

I have a '90 GGSX. The right parking brake line has seized up and I have removed it and ordered in a new one from my local auto parts store. My original parking brake length from the end to the end of the cable was 62". The one I got is 67". Thinking they may have sent me the cable for the left side, I went searching online and found the manufacturer's website said it was the right cable. NAPA also has the same cable length for theirs, along with the cables listed on RockAuto. Did the previous owner of the vehicle maybe put on the wrong cable if he replaced it or is this the right one? Or will it make no difference in the length?

Thanks in advance.

fivestardsm

Are you refering to the overall length of the cable? or just the length of the body (black outer linnir).

You need to measure how much cable sticks out when you have it all the way to one end. If it is the same measurement as the one you removed, then it will be usable. It would only effect the way it lays under the body. It would have a little more slack, and you would just have to tie it up to make sure that it dosen't hit, or catch anything. If it is 5" longer, then I would say that it was for a different model.

JackbNimble

From end to end, as in the metal barrel looking things on the end of each cable, it is about 5" longer. Not the rubber cover. When I have the cable pulled the whole way to one end, if I measure from the coating to the end of the cable, it's the same length as the original. So it should work, correct? I'll just have more slack?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Five inches is a lot of slack. Maybe someone put a 1g cable on it before? I don't have a GVR4 cable loose to measure.

vapid

I have a passenger side cable sitting in the garage, let me know if you still need the overall length.

belize1334

RockAuto says that the passenger cable should be just over 62". click me

If you aren't confident that you have the right ones you can get them from jnztuning. clicky

JackbNimble

See, the cable is just over 62", however the pages you linked to are for the VR-4. I have the GGSX and all the pages say a little over 67", so I dunno. Anyone else have any info?

fivestardsm

Quoting JackbNimble:
When I have the cable pulled the whole way to one end, if I measure from the coating to the end of the cable, it's the same length as the original. So it should work, correct? I'll just have more slack?

Correct! As long as the travel is the same, it will work.

There is a possibility that it was a superceded part # that was a revision to the original 62" cable. I would just make sure to lay it next to tthe old one, and make sure that the brackets and bushings are the same, and in the general correct location.

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting JackbNimble:
See, the cable is just over 62", however the pages you linked to are for the VR-4. I have the GGSX and all the pages say a little over 67", so I dunno. Anyone else have any info?

That's definitely weird. We're talking about the same chassis.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned