The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Parking brake cable for 90' GSX

JackbNimble

My left side parking brake cable has frozen and I am having a hard time trying to find a new one. Everywhere local can't get ahold of them. Even RockAuto has most of them missing (except one, but with shipping I'm looking way more than I want to spend). So what I'm curious about is if I were to purchase the right side cable, which I can find, would it fit okay in the left side? Thanks in advance.

mooserage

Staff member
I am pretty sure that it won't fit correctly, but someone may know better. IIRC, when I got mine there were two different part numbers, one for each side. Did you try JNZtuning? I dont think they are really that cheap though... Good luck!

donkeylips

I don't have time to do the research right now, but are the rear brake calipers and cables on a '90 GGSX different from a GVR4 because of '90 model year differences? If so, you could swap rear calipers and run a GVR4 setup.
Or is it just that parking brake cables for both GVR4s and GGSXs are the same, and not available?

WesS

I replaced both right and left E-brake cables on my 91 talon recently. I ordered right and left (different part numbers) from Rock auto and then compared them when they arrived. They appeared to be exactly the same. I did have to replace a rear caliper because the coil on the caliper breaking mechanism was frozen. That being said I think I scored both from Rock Auto for relatively cheap and I am happy with the product. I would just spend the money and do it right through them.

mitsuturbo

You're going to be looking at $30 plus shipping. Deal with it.

You have to think like this, with these cars;
"There is a part available, NEW, which i can buy, and will be very difficult to fabricate or replace with some alternative."

It may or may not be available next year, and it PROBABLY will not be available in 5 years.

If you plan on keeping your car... think about this... In just the 10 years i've had GVR4s, i've seen the 91 front grill (sic), 93 headlights, all vr4 molded carpet, front fascia, fuel filler hose, main wiring harness, and some other things i cannot recall at the moment all go NLA. Be thankful that a cable specific to AWD galants is even available in the US, considering there were only about 5570 (+/- 15 or so) AWD galants shipped to the US.

It's probably taken a good 20+ years for your parking brake cable to take a sh*t, and now you should know it's a problem area for these cars. They need yearly lubrication, if not more (especially if not garaged) to prevent this happening. Replace the cable, spend the money, be VERY thankful it's even available, and take care of it after you install.

Rock auto sells them. Make sure you dont buy the one that says EXCEPT 4wd. (it comes up in the search even though you select "turbocharged engine").

edit: oh, btw, 90 ggsx should be same as 91-92 vr4

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts