The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

opinions wanted

prove_it

So I just picked up a Gold with black interior 1990 Galant GS 5 speed, with active suspension and that jazz. Paid 200 cash for it. Doesn't run due to someone not finishing a T-belt job, so unsure how it runs. Body is straight and clean and she's only got 72,000 original miles on it. I have several options for this car and I am putting to the board to help me decide. I have #1284 still around and that is totaled due to a tree jumping into the street I was carefully driving on.
So here are my options:
1) Part it out, it has lots of good parts on it and I could make a few bucks on it.
2) I could reassemble it and use 1284's parts to add leather seats and do a two tone gold on black paint and have a spare car or sell it for a good profit margin.
or
3) Strip it down to bare essentials and build a 12 second front wheel drive Galant, which could make a sick sleeper car.

I want to keep it cheap and I have a spare turbo engine, and I have a NA engine as well. If I build it I can't decide which engine to use. I was thinking swap the turbo in it and have fun but then I started thinking about building an all motor 2.4L with individual throttles and AMG cams on it would be pretty fun too.

So I thought I'd put it up for discussion.

Struc

Option #2.

If you wanted a FWD sleeper car, there are better ones to build. Fix it, sell it off, and use the profit to buy another VR4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cspetros

Option 2 or 3. The Galant GS and Galant GSX are more rare (so I've heard) than even the VR-4. Even though the turbo appeal is not present, you still have a car from the same family. The non-turbo Galants make comfortable, long lasting daily drivers, so long as regular maintenance is performed. The issue is that most people who buy the non-turbo Galants do not change the timing belts until they fail (most commonly, the balance shaft belt). They also do not clean the obvious areas of the body where rust is most commonly found.

Do not part it out (option 1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) unless the frame has a significant amount of unrepairable rust.

/suggestion.

Last edited:

prove_it

I started thinking a solid daily would be nice. I would still like to swap in a 2.4L bottom end though. That would make it a lot more fun for the drive

mikus

#2 for sure, leather swap, spray top half black with debadging & tint to compliment. See how it comes out, if it's great then consider a build.

If it's got teh rusts though, do not want. I'm done with beautification of rust cars.

prove_it

Yea if the body is rusted to hell she's getting parted for sure. Not worth my time. I was thinking a two tone gold on black would look good. We'll see. I do miss having a high powered FWD though. Just fun to show off, especially in a 20 year old Galant.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned