The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

On Ice with the GVR4 (now with video)

skivittlerjimb

Finally bust my ice driving cherry with the GVR4 last Saturday. Gotta say, even with too much roll stiffness, moderately worn studded snows, and too low a ride height and too high a spring rate, this car is a blast to drive on ice.

The winter up here hasn't been wickedly cold, but it has been consistently cold and snowy for over a month now. Lots of nights below zero and not too much in the way of wind mean a lot of the ponds and lakes up here have well over 18" of ice. One lake just 3-4 miles from my house has a perfect ramp access and tons of flat ice. Add a sturdy plow truck and lots of like minded folks and you have yourself a 3/4 mile, 8 or 9 turn ice course complete with 2' soft snow banks on either side.

It was easy to get overconfident quickly. There is so very little grip, even with studded snows, but I was quicker than just about everything that was there (mostly non-studded Subies). Power means nothing, and though I stayed in 2nd gear much of the time to squirt quickly down the short straits, third gear was easier to control. 2nd gear when boost comes one just spins one of the fronts. A front lsd would help quite a bit, though I'd be a bit worried about breaking it. Having the viscous rear LSD is a huge benefit for car rotation. It's light years better than driving on similarly slippery surfaces with similar tires in the last two GVR4s I owned with the stock open rear diff.

Left foot braking was a very useful technique for keeping the momentum going while still controlling the rotation of the car. Handbrake technique was much less useful than it might have been in a lighter or fwd car, but still somewhat useful. Long, smooth sideways drifts were pretty easy to induce and in turn induced broad smiles.

My buddy drove 280, too. He's a much better autox driver than I, but this was his first ice experience, too, and he has very limited seat time with an awd car. He stuffed her good, plowing about 25' into a 2' soft bank at about 40mph. No damage, just got stuck but good, high sided on the snow. Some shoveling a tug from a Suby and we were back underway in about ten minutes. I returned the favor to my tow buddy just two or three laps later.

Going back on Saturday morning to the same lake, will try to have a camera handy for stills and video. Unf. I can't compete in the Time Trial on Sunday, at least I don't think I can, due to family obligation, but it be interesting to see what this ice newbie and this old GVR4 could do against the clock.

-Jim B.
280/1000

Last edited:

1990ggsxnj

Sounds like a grand time. Pics would be nice, especially for us VR4 wannabies.
What size tires are you using?

steve

The pics aren't loading.

skivittlerjimb

That's cause they're ain't no pics yet! :)

Tire are 185/65R15 studded Nordman 1s. Nordman is actually a brand Hakka uses to sell older models.

Here's a video someone shot two weeks ago at the same lake.

-Jim B.
280/1000

RedTwo

Don't think this is you, but what the heck? When else will I have an excuse?

Now, to find an excuse to post the photos of the VR4s racing down Bathurst/Mount Panorama...

Olson

^^ o sexxy V mount

skivittlerjimb

Screw tire Miata

Pulling out the beached 325 iX

I wasn't responsible for this particular beaching, but later I spun this particular car pretty darn good. You have to lift for the kink on the fast straight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

And some in-car video from the GVR-4.

Another great time, but the GVR4 know has a fat lip (pulled the lower bumper cover out a bit) and an exhaust leak somewhere in the downpipe or its couplings. Oh well, you have to pay to play.

-Jim B.
280/1000

Last edited:

skivittlerjimb

Thanks for sharing the pics and vids! One of the sideways shots of a white Evo in your gallery is my new screen background at work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Loving the RVR, though I have to say by 2001 the body work has gotten a bit funky looking. It'll never happen, but I'd love to import and left hand drive RVR from the mid-late 90s as a daily driver.

-Jim B.
280/1000

skivittlerjimb

A 3G Eclipse being put out of its misery on the same lake we played last weekend:

img.php

A poor 17 year old kid went out there on Monday after Sunday had gotten warm and a bit rainy.
The ice was still good but a fisherman had drilled a good sized whole right in the middle of one of our sweepers. We should have plowed the course shut on Sunday evening but we didn't.

Anyway, this kid goes out there with a bunch of friends in his car, by themselves, no one to pull them out if there's any trouble, and I'm guessing didn't recon. the ice ahead of time. LF goes into the hole, car breaks through top layer of ice. To compound issues, the tow truck driver towed it front the front from the shoreline where the rear of the car was facing. Car started going down further and the front end got pretty well busted up.

There are risks in ice driving, for sure. Big warm up in VT the last couple days. We may be done with ice driving for the rest of the season. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

-Jim B.
280/1000

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned