The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oilcoolers?

kaptainballistik

Yes, Im at it again....

After the last batch of sillyness, The next thing on the list is the oilcooler...

So I have a few options.

Cut a RX7 one in half so it is a single pass cooler, Use the 7 row "Peter Wherret Turbo" Oilcooler which is as long as the RS intercooler and almost as thick (Its an australian turbo Sigma thing.....) Use 2 oilcoolers in a setup like a FD Rx7 ( One behind each driving light hole)

Or just man up and buy one twice the standard thickness (A La EVo 5 ), But that involves money that could be used for more important things...

Like Racing.....

Also, The oilcooler is a bypass unit..Correct? Can the bypass be made to start at a lower temp than what I have been informed is the factory temp of 80 degrees. Heck, Even a Mini has a full flow oilcooler of doubble the size of the VR4 unit!

Doesnt seem right to me. Oil not getting hot isnt a worry, Its a Rallycar after all, Itll get hot!

Or is it a non issue ( As Ive said before, Its not a 9500rpm 12A Rx2..ive got no idea!)

Last edited:

I have a setrab oil cooler for sale. Its the one on the right. You would have to make lines. It still has the line fittings though.

Last edited by a moderator:

3rdstrikedsm

You could look in to a jdm unit? They are quite nice and bolt on and look stock.
you can find them on e-bay every now and again from jdm places.

God loves the rotary engine although most people here don't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

slugsgomoo

my setup doesn't do full flow until the oil is at operating temp (~180*). Cooling the oil below that can cause worse problems than having super hot oil in the first place.

I wouldn't put a used cooler on a motor unless I knew exactly what it came from, and why it came off in the first place. Having little bits going through your motor because you saved $40 on an oil cooler is grade-A stupidity.

B&M's on summit can be had for $45-80 bucks depending on size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Mine went through the parts washer then soaked in super-clean and hot water then blown out with the air compressor. I was happy enough to put it on.

I was going to go with the 1990 dsm oil filter housing with external cooling however I have a 1993 motor swapped in and realized that they don't work. So I have an extra 1990 oil filter housing since I am going to use a sandwich plate instead.

slugsgomoo

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Whats wrong with just running a 90 dsm oil cooler? It's a very simple bolt on affair.

it's also probably full of 150k of sh*t, not to mention what happened to it if the motor spun a bearing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

saving $75 and sending sh*t through your nice expensive motor is what people might refer to as "penny wise, pound foolish"

mitsuturbo

I know what you mean. I flushed mine out with nearly 1/2 gallon of lacquer thinner before running it.

SmoothCustomer

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Quoting mitsuturbo:
Whats wrong with just running a 90 dsm oil cooler? It's a very simple bolt on affair.

it's also probably full of 150k of sh*t, not to mention what happened to it if the motor spun a bearing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

saving $75 and sending sh*t through your nice expensive motor is what people might refer to as "penny wise, pound foolish"

You can buy them brand new too though.

I bet you could have a radiator shop rod out an oil cooler. Wouldn't cost much, guarantees good function and no dirt.

Might make it cost as much as a new one though.

CarRacer

I'd have to check my receipts, but I bought a oil cooler setup from Summit. I used -10 SS lines, Aeroquip fittings, and a 10x11 B&M cooler. All very good stuff, and I'm almost positive the cost was under $200. I only used -10 because I had extra line, -8 would work just the same. -8 is probably bigger than the OEM 90 lines.

I ran the bigger cooler because I don't have AC anymore. Slugs is right on cooling the oil too much. Prolonging cold thick oil from circulating is silly, don't mess with the bypass. That's one thing the stock cooler has going for it, during winter it actually warms the oil faster than the motor can after startup.

fivestardsm

This is what I use for cleaning collers out. I will run them through a bath or 3 first with some carb cleaner or laquer thinner and air, and then spray a can of this from both directions.

Cooler flush

kaptainballistik

Ive got the RS setup already and its on a rallycar... It is getting the oil a little hot by the end of a stage

IMG_0606.JPG.html

Picture

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

What's the drawback to running NO oil cooler? A lot of the guys that run the forward facing OFH aren't running any oil coolers, are they? I've been toying with the idea of just flat out deleting my oil cooler. Any feedback on this idea would be great.

jepherz

Staff member
Oil breaks down faster and doesn't protect as well outside of its ideal temperature range.

G

Staff member

Some of the older Volvo turbo cars had Setrab oilcoolers on them. Thats where i got mine and a stack of others. Obviously some serious cleaning was involved before installation.

G

Staff member
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned