The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil pressure on MMCD

So I just started using MMCD, and I am getting .8 at idle and a peak of 6 at WOT redline. Based on my calculations and guess that the scale is BAR, that translates roughly to 11psi and 87 psi....that sounds to me like I need a new bottom end (top end is fresh.) Any thoughts? Does anyone know what this motor usually runs at? At what psi does the light come on? How accurate is this gauge?

Polish

I never knew MMCD read it. But those sound right to me.

At idle 10-15psi and at WOT 70-100psi depending on RPM, oil temp and weight. If you search around oil pressures vary a bit depending on a few things like which oil filter housing you run and if you have balance shafts. Among some other stuff...

Last edited:

I have a stock filter housing and balance shaft delete. Running 10-30 dead dino oil

Last edited by a moderator:

CSMShaun

The BS delete should bump your oil pressures up a little bit but the values you are seeing are absolutely fine. If I may ask though, where is your sensor tapped into on the engine?

Polish

Idiot light comes on at about 5psi by the way. Being in a warm climate those pressures sound fine to me. I'd get a real aftermarket gauge though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Not sure where the sender is. There is one on the filter housing but it isn't connected to anything. The light does come on, and MMCD is giving me a changing reading, so I assume there is one....Unless the ECU is putting in a derived value (I know some cars used to do that, made scan tool diag a real bitch)

Polish

See if the value changes from cold start and running to hot start, they should vary enough to tell. If not you may be correct it may just be a derived value. There are two senders on 1g/2g one for the idiot light and one for the *dummy* gauge. However the GVR4 does not have a stock gauge so I don't know if that sender is there, it's been to long since I've had mine I can't recall.

Our cars don't have an oil pressure sender, so I have no idea what you are reading with MMcD, but it isn't oil pressure.

Polish

And the man has spoken, like I said just get a real gauge. You can get a decent electric oil pressure gauge for < $100. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

NYC86ZC

Quoting keydiver:
Our cars don't have an oil pressure sender, so I have no idea what you are reading with MMcD, but it isn't oil pressure.

I was wondering the same thing.

I also see a oil temp reading on my logger as well, although i'm fairly new to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I think the guy that wrote some of the MMcD versions put in multiple sensor scalings for a couple of the ECU inputs, in case someone put a MAP sensor on the spare EGRT input or something. Without knowing which version of MMcD you have, and what scalings he put in the code, they are rather useless. I think you can see the address being logged if you go into preferences and look at the custom sensor screen. But, I don't know how to get it to show you the math it is using to scale it.

belize1334

Presumably if you logged EVERYTHING then you should be able to spot it if more than one "sensor" has the same functional shape on the log. For instance, if the oil pressure reading was actually just a rescaled airflow reading then you'd notice that the two graphs had the same shape. Even if it wasn't a linear correspondence you'd notice if two different parameters had all their highs and lows at the same times. That is, of course, if what you're seeing is in fact a rescaling instead of a derived value as was suggested.

Last edited:

stevep

The 1.8g version have a bunch of items to log that don't exist on DSM's or other cars. He was building add on hardware to intercept the requests and report externally connected sensors.

He used this as justification for not releasing the source even though he was behind getting the original author to open source MMCd so he could use it.

Pretty much all the items on the fourth page don't exist along with VSPD (wrong location) on the second page. OILP is just displaying the E2 result code which is whatever the value of address 0x00e2 happens to be. In the E931 code that is airVolTB = airVol16/2 * iatCompFact/128 * baroFact/128.

Last edited:

So......say ones palm logger's battery took a sh*t, and erased palmnstien and my mmcd.........What should one do to reload these,and what version is best to load?? Is it worth paying for the pocket logger program?
Pardon the thread jack. Thought I'd ask.

I find Pocketlogger to be much easier to use, but I guess its all what you get used to. The bad part about Pocketlogger is that you also need to reenter the registration code everytime your batteries die.

And I think pocket logger has some bidirectionality (ie you can turn off injectors and stuff) which I can't find in MMCD.

If we don't have a sender, what is that sender looking thing on my oil filter housing with a wire coming off it?

Polish

That is for the idiot light in the gauge cluster. It turns on if the pressure drops below 5psi.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting 687OF2000:
And I think pocket logger has some bidirectionality (ie you can turn off injectors and stuff) which I can't find in MMCD.

If we don't have a sender, what is that sender looking thing on my oil filter housing with a wire coming off it?

MMCD can do that as well. It's on the main page under one of the menus. Debug or something? Same place you read CEL codes.

DSMs have an actual gauge, so if you look at a DSM oil sending unit, you will see a 2nd sender that is much larger than the dummy light one.

stevep

Quoting 687OF2000:
And I think pocket logger has some bidirectionality (ie you can turn off injectors and stuff) which I can't find in MMCD

On the first MMCd screen you tap the title bar where it says MMCD and a drop down menu appears. Select Test.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned