The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil on new Kevlar Timing Belt

Dan D

I got my engine back yesterday from being assembled. It was laying sideways in a crate, well packed and protected. Problem is the oil cap got hit when they packed it and oil left in the head from priming leaked out into the crate. It left a puddle that the timing belt sat in. It was like this for 4 days until I unpacked it this morning.

Question is if I take the timing belt of and clean the belt and sprokets, am I taking a risk? Should I get the belt replaced or is a couple days with oil on part of it inconsequential?

(It's a greddy belt. The teeth on these things are still rubber like an oe belt.)

BoostedAWD91

i would personally replace it cause oil isnt good for timing belt especially soaking in it for almost a week

Street Surgeon

Are you a gamblin' man? Personally I wouldn't risk my recently built motors livlihood on a timing belt that's sat in oil, but that's just me.

That sucks, I hate replacing parts that have never even been run.

I would replace it and then sell it on ebay as "Oil Soaked Kevlar Timing Belt, brand new."

3rdstrikedsm

It will be fine just spray it down with simple green and hot water and it will be good to go or sell it to me and I will use it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Street Surgeon

Where did you order it from if you don't mind my asking, that's some f'n customer service!

Dan D

Jack's Transmissions.

I had them do my rebuild since I wasn't finding the time (an infant in the house will do that I guess). Great to work with. When I added up just the parts/machine work they include in their economy build, it was almost a wash of doing everything myself.

By the time I bought a few extra special tools, all the parts, and spent the gas, shipping, time, etc - it's a good deal. They were excelent to work with through the whole process. Most importantly they answered any question I had, even if it was dumb and they answered correctly and completely with reasons why, past experience, etc.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts