The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil filter??

Ian M

Another vote for WIX or Puralator.

You can pick up a Fram and a Wix,and you can feel the differnce in weight (The WIX is heavier) between the two which one is better.

Is well very well known how shitty the Fram product has become since they were bought out by Allied Signal.

I have two freinds with two seperate engines (albeit V8s) that had oil pressure problems that were caused by Fram filters.

Oil filter study,check out the overview and "filters to avoid": http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

Last edited:

PrimerGod

I used to work at Allied Signal (Fram) in Clearfield, UT. They had me sit on the line as all the oil filters were going by. When they got to me, they turned on their sides so I could see if there was anything lodged in the threaded hole. If there was, then I pull it off. The problem being they called me over from another area to do this, and there's no way of knowing how long quality was unattended. They also make oil filters for other companies too. Re-badged Fram.....Ugh! So, if I had a choice, i'd go with something else.
I use Mobil 1 oil and filter with NO problems. And you can feel a weight difference in those also....But heavier does not always mean better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Quote:
Quote:
WIX or Purolator

Seriously.

Or Napa "gold" which are the same as Wix.

any early birds on here that can give me a part # for these? is it 51381?

atc250r

Staff member
I believe it's the FIL1381. That's what NAPA's web-site says.

John

Quote:
I believe it's the FIL1381. That's what NAPA's web-site says.

John

That is correct sir, I only use Napa Gold or Factory Mitsu oil filters usally Mitsu since there only $4.20 with discount. Mobil 1 are good to just a little to pricey for my blood.

And Mobil 1 Syntec 10W-30 Always, that oil kicks ass and you can get a 5quart Jug for under $20 at WAL MART.

sleepyvr4

I've used about every oil filter out there. I noticed no difference. The frams have that nice grippy outer edge though.

4g63t

Purolator part # is L10193 for the regular and PL10193 for the Pureone, with a nice sparkly blue color. I wish they had that grippy stuff like fram...

Cool..thx alot guys. I just went ahead and got the NAPA Gold/WIX since it was convienent to get. Hopefully its not some cheap stuff, like how the filter itself looks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Staff member
Quote:
Cool..thx alot guys. I just went ahead and got the NAPA Gold/WIX since it was convienent to get. Hopefully its not some cheap stuff, like how the filter itself looks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

does it have an antidrainback valve ?

I second Purolator or Mobil-1. I quit using Frams when -- not once but twice! -- the rubber o-ring from the old filter came off and stuck to the housing (on another car where you can't actually see it) so that when the new filter spun on it didn't seal. Made for a SuperFund clean up site in my driveway not to mention it's a good way to lose an engine.
Mike R.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, theres a spring inside the filter if thats what your talking about. That spring allows oil to still flow if the filter gets clogged up right?
The filter is white with blue lettering. Part # was 1381.

G

Staff member
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, theres a spring inside the filter if thats what your talking about. That spring allows oil to still flow if the filter gets clogged up right?

no, the antidrainback valve stops all the oil from draining out of the motor when it's turned off. to help with cold starts.
http://densoaftermarket.com/cutaway_oilfilter.html

If ALL you have available to you is Kragen then go with a Fram Tough Guard (grey box), AC Delco, or Beck Arnely. Stay away from the Penzoil, orange boxed Fram (cardboard endcaps on filter element) and black boxed Fram (teflon in filter media; NOT GOOD!). I worked at Checker for three years through college and would only use the Fram Tough Guard if I absolutely had to. Otherwise I'd go to the competition and pick up a Wix or Purolator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

turbowop

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

no, the antidrainback valve stops all the oil from draining out of the motor when it's turned off. to help with cold starts.
http://densoaftermarket.com/cutaway_oilfilter.html

Yes, it has the antidrainback valve.

Wix also makes the filters for Carquest. My friend who runs a Carquest shop told me so.

grocery_getter

NAPA Gold 1381. I like them so much, I got more than 2 dozen of them sitting on the shelve here at the shop. It is the only one I trust to use.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned