The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

OEM style radiator performance

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Have an update to the GVR4 aftermarket aluminum radiator offered on Ebay, with a 50+mm core. The mounting pins sit in a slightly taller position because of the fact that the welds create a height change where the brackets would other sit down flush. The weld material made the rad sit higher and the bracket now sits double that dimension in a semi compressed position. Also, in my C53A chassis, it hits the rad support if using the factory brackets with no modification. The pin location front to back on the core, is a major part of this phenomenon, not just the extra girth of the core/depth change.
The lower coolant switch fitting is an M14/1x25 which is not the size to fit the factory coolant temp switch, that should be M16x1.5 - I was able to file down the threads, then re-tap with a proper tap. There is no imperial drill bit on most hardware chain store shelves (Lowes/Home Depot/Canadian Tire) that won't leave you a hole too big or out of the range of most 3/8" drills can take (smaller diameter shank). I vacuumed out the fitting and then turned the vacuum into a blower and set it into the top rad fitting to get any extra particles out. I suspect nothing went very far anyways and the rad is brand new, so nothing to stick to. I did use tap/cutting fluid and took my time with small turns and reversals in proper succession. Worked a charm, especially after I put a little chamfer at the top of the threaded hole for the O-ring to sit into properly. I didn't want to see that get cut, as part of a design flaw to my newly tapped hole.
The top and bottom tabs that would hold factory type fans, are or do stick out further, so a factory shroud from my C53a (which turned out not to fit due to clearance) sat further out from the core when it was otherwise nearly flush on a proper C53A core rad. Nearly every dimension changed as a result of being a Chinese copy. I emailed the ebay seller and the confirmed the fitting size and said if I had anymore questions, that I should contact them. I went to work on the rad mods....

All of the extra height pushed the rad cap upwards The cap which is the deeper style of the two Japanese styles available - be warned your factory DSM/Galant/CSM rad cap will not work (0.9bar) due to the depth of the fitting, but they supply you with a 1.1 bar cap that does work. Time will tell how well the cap works!
I had to use a second hood and remove a chunk of webbing to clear the top neck and rad cap as a result. This may have no bearing on a rad put into a Galant, but it the whole radiator sits higher and the cap sits higher, you have been forwarned that lower mounts and or top mounts may need fiddling ... bolt on ... sort of.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

Not all fans are created equal and the fan may be your problem. It looks like we have a similar turbo setup as you do, I have an FP DSM76 and it fit perfectly fine with the Koyo Evo 3 Aluminum Radiator. (For fitment purposes) I have the newer HH series that replaced the old R series that were much thicker but is suppose to be just as efficient. I am using a Shrouded 12" Mishimoto Raceline Fan that flows 1850 CFM. I have the fan controlled by ECMlink to turn on earlier than from the factory switch. I am using an OEM 180 thermostat and a mix of 70% water / 30% Coolant with a 1.3 radiator cap. I need to get a blanket for my FP manifold still but on my last canyon run the car maintained 180-195 temps.
I have had the basic Mishimoto Slim fans in the past and they are crap. The regular Flex-A-Lite (FAL) fans are definately a step up. Right before this fan I had the F-A-L Shrouded Fan and it flowed 1250 CFM. web page It is an awesome fan and I still have it sitting in my garage. I had no issues with it and it almost appears that it was underrated. It flows so much air. I went with the M Raceline because I wanted to try the newer bigger fan when they came out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned