The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Odd E85 question

prove_it

I've been all over the internet in hopes of coming up with an answer to this question. I've searched here, but can't come to a relevent answer. Would a stock GVR4 fuel pump be able to handle an E85 convert with evo injectors on a bone stock GVR4? No boost mods, stock piping, stock exhaust, stock everything just evo injectors and link. I want to say no, but I can't find any data for the fuel pump specs. Assume the pump is has been rewired.

chucklesas

According to RRE: click
We are good for ~100 lph at 43psi edit: at 12 volts

Last edited by a moderator:

thecman02

Your going to need at least a 190lph wally or evo pump rewired to feed the car safely.

Sry... you might be able to get away with stock pump rewired if you leave boost at stock... but why bother with e85 then?

Last edited:

prove_it

Friend's got a eclipse, got it cheap. It's in good shape, we're going to leave it all alone. Around here there is a $1.20 spread between pump gas and e85. Yea, would save about 300 a year, maybe more pending on how I tune it.

He wants to spend next to nothing doing it, he's got an old version of link so we're using that. I've got a spare VR4 pump, could we run two stock pumps to make it work?

GolfBall

seems like it might be doable....

biggest thing would be throw in the pump and injectors and take it easy till you see what ur a/fs and stuff are.....

Lonewolf64

I expect that running two stock pumps in tandem would overwhelm the stock FPR. Also, evo injectors are ~25% higher flowing than 450cc, but E85 requires a ~30% fuel consumption increase by volume. It sounds like it would be best to leave a bit of headroom and get a larger pump, AFPR and some injectors larger than Evo 560s. However, I've heard that Evo 560s actually flow over 600cc but I still wouldn't risk it.

Just do injectors and a pump. Is it possible on a stock pump maybe but why leave it at stock boost ? The only power gained would be marginal except you can add a lot more timing. But i would also bet if it has a stock pump you have no way to adjust timing easily. We always do injectors (750cc+) , pump(255L) and a reflash on all the Evos we convert to E85 . The thing with E85 is can run 30psi+ boost and a lot more timing up top and have no detonation. One last key thing with older cars Ethanol will clean you gas tank out spotless after a few tanks and all that sludge is going somewhere hopefully in your fuel filter. If it clogs it and you don't have an AFR gauge you can run into serious problems. If you convert change your fuel filter frequently for the first month or so.

prove_it

Right, this is more of an experiment to see how well E85 can TRULY preform in older cars. Plan is to do this for next to nothing as a demonstration. I plan on opening a shop up soon and around here E85 is cheap and plentiful. I am well aware there will only be slight power gains, but not everything you do to a car MUST add 50horse to be worthy. I plan to push the timing toward the 28 degree mark under full boost. I know what I'm doing, well be using link V2 with a LC-1 WB. It's true that the evo injectors will add 25% more fuel, but will the pump keep up is the question.

Think of this as a car that can blow up and we're going to push E85 to the limits on a bone stock car to see the benefits of JUST switching to E85. Everyone knows how great it is, but no one has found out on a stock car.

Also does anyone know if the 2G fuel regulator has the same issues as a first gen?

thecman02

Hmm. Your going to push the limits of almost stock. You should make some decent gains with timing advance, but on e85 you almost have to tune with a dyno. After about 24 degrees I think you actually start loosing horsepower and you put wicked bad stress on headgaskets,headstuds, pistons, and rods.

prove_it

Right, 24-27 is total MAX for a stock engine. We got tons of parts laying around to play with. I doubt well see big gains with timing as the 1g timing map is pretty aggressive stock. I am going to go big on cruise timing for cleaner running while pushing around a 15:1-16:1 ratio under light cruise.(that is gas scale or 10:1 on e85 scale or so)

It will be fun. It's always fun pushing a limit and breaking things for knowledge.

turboaddict

my mirage turbo is tuned for 17 or 18-1 a/f and runs fine. (scaled for gas) also running the e316g to 40psi on a stock 1g motor. runs really well.

prove_it

40psi out of a 16G? I'd say your past the effeiency range on that turbo. I bet it runs good though!

On that 16g with 40 psi what does it hold since the 40 is peak right?? I know they spike 40+ on the rally cars with evo 9 turbos but can usually only hold mid thirties and those turbos usually only last a few races at that boost level but they run a lot of antilag as well. Yeah i would say 40 is way out of efficiency range turbo is probably in the 30% range.

prove_it

Hell an evo 8 turbo barely holds 32lbs. Kid in town was pushing his like that. Was running low 12's until the bearings said uh no don't think so and pushed the wheels into the housing sending turbo chunks into the intake.

Evo injectors won't be enough. As mentioned you'll be right around 30% with the Evo injectors @ the same power/boost level. Throwing in 2 factory pumps seems like a waste of time vs. once Walbro 255 hp fuel pump.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned