The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

**NOT RESOLVED**Randomly losing cylinders/dying**NOT RESOLVED**

5OF2k

That's really what Im confused about. Im not certain what AEM uses for injector signal, at all. I've tried searching for it and am even on the AEM forums searching there as well, but havent been able to tell really.

I did find out how to broaden the spectrum of what is logged just this morning, which Im going to give a shot this evening when I get home.

It's not like link where every aspect is put on a spreadsheet and you can compare. AEM's is all done using graphs and a slider bar that you can go through the graphed lines and it will tell you the time down to the tenth of a second and the complete values for your selected parameters. BUT, you have to pick the right aspects to log before you start the logging, otherwise you're left with very limited values, which Ive stated earlier on in the thread(things like engine load, speed, IDC, pulse rate, o2 #1, etc).

Hopefully I can get it figured out, and hopefully it's not the ECUs injector drivers that took a poo on me.

-Jake

5OF2k

From the keyboard of some dude that knows AEM way better than I lol:

click,30363.0.html

I'll be looking into that tonight. Still hoping its not the box itself.... wish me luck!

-Jake

5OF2k

WELL.

I logged the issue a bit, added in the knock fuel #1 and #2 as the techy suggested and noticed no differences. Was kind of hoping it would be something simple like that, but wasnt.

So, Friday I called up AEM to actually talk to an individual in person, turns out the guy I was talking to was the guy in the thread who had replied(one of them). SO, we both opened my logs and went over them together. He helped me re-realize the MAP/load readings were weird. a couple tenths before the issue would occur, my MAP would shoot all the way up to around 130kpa, at idle(I took new logs of it just idling, so that the issue would REALLY stand out and it would be uniform) whic was telling the ECU that the engine was seeing positive pressure, and to add fuel to compensate.

So, having just replaced the AEM 5bar map with a new unit, I determined it had to be wiring related.....that's where the FUN begins!

According to the RRE setup guide, Im supposed to tap into the 5v reference and sensor gound on the factory MAF plug, and then use the Ignition test terminal on the firewal for the reference signal to the ECU. The old sensor was not wired like this.

The old wiring had the 5v reference set to the TPS pigtail(which I noticed was reasing at only 4.5 volts), and at that time, I noticed yet another set of issues. The rest of the wiring. I had already replaced the CAS wiring and pigtail with a NT pigtail/connector, as far down as I could without pulling the harness from the engine completely. This time around, no such luck.

I noticed a fair amount of the insulation on all of the TPS wires having breaks in them, and slight signs of corrosion/etc. SO, off to the junkyard I went.

Found a new pigtail to use from a NT Galant(97 or something like that, and I had to de-pin one wire since theyre 4 wire, not 3 wire TPS sensors). Went back home and got to redoing the harness.....

So, I pulled the sheathing back for all of the top of the motors' sensors. injectors, TPS, IAC, CAS, and so on. I found that the PO had already been through the harness(YAY!!!), and re-wired the injectors, CAS, TPS, and IAC and a BUNCH of wires coming from the ECU(de-pinned factory wires left in the harness, replaced with wires of a different color and guage/etc(not very well, mind you.....GLOBS of solder on poorly twisted together wiring...not professional to say the least). It looked like HELL, I'll just leave it at that.

Long story short, I went through and repaired/re-wired/re-routed the whole top half of the engine harness by PROPERLY sodlering and heat shrinking all of the connections, and OHM testing each repaired wire to make certain I wasnt messing with the resistance.

The end result is a much cleaner engine bay, and a properly functioning vehicle(for now, we'll see......especially considering the issue went away for about 300 miles the last time) with properly wired harness and sensors.

I'm still logging like crazy, just in case the issue returns so I'll have it recorded. Plus, it's not an entirely bad idea to have it logging at all times(which AEM automatically does when you are connected to a computer).

THanks a million for all of the suggestions and putting up with my shortness when Id reached the point of frustration. Id also like to sincerely apologize for being an ass; it was uncalled for and came purely from my frustration with my car and myself being unable to nail it down to a specific cause(doesnt happen often, at all).

Thanks again, and let's hope THIS TIME I've actually taken care of it!

-Jake

Racah15

Glad to hear you possibly figured it out. I wouldn't of guessed that wiring be the issue.
Hopefully one of these days I'll actually get to see your galant instead of hearing about it. Haha

5OF2k

LOL! No kidding man!

prove_it

So, the one case a wire tuck would actually solve an issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good to hear. I was suspecting that there had to be a faulty signal going on. That's whats great about a datalogger. It can pretty much solve your problem just by looking at graphs. At Acura it's part of our hands on training. We are taught how to use only the scan tool to diag problems.

Did this affect your tune at all? Wondering how much of a difference the small changes in voltage would make.

Also gotta love the DIY electricians that just slaughter a harness.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned