The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

non divided e3 wastegate and turbo outlet

icurunnin

I was browsing the net for e3's out there and came across this option with Dejon. They claim it eliminates boost creep but I have yet to hear of anyone who has run it. Anyone have any input on this or know of anyone who has tried it?
A-01_PTurbine_Hsg-Undivided_wWGate.jpg

That's how I port them to control boost creep. It works better than any other creep control options such as the larger flapper. It was a trick I learned from Lucas English.

icurunnin

So you do recommend this type of porting? If I buy a new e3 I will try this route and see how it works. I just figured it would weaken the housing removing that much material.
thanks for the input Jesse

I've done this on plenty of daily driven cars and they don't have any issues with the housing being cut like that. You'll like it.

Brianawd

That is the better way to do it.

belize1334

I've heard talk of this causing unexpected turbulence where the wg and exhaust paths merge which intern affects the efficiency of the turbo. I'm not saying that it's true but I would be very curious to see evidence one way or another in the form of dyno numbers with an without, preferably back to back. I'd also be interested to see an o2 housing that's had the divider between the two paths ported out so as to be compatible with the above exhaust housing.

Brianawd

Quote:
I've heard talk of this causing unexpected turbulence where the wg and exhaust paths merge which intern affects the efficiency of the turbo. I'm not saying that it's true but I would be very curious to see evidence one way or another in the form of dyno numbers with an without, preferably back to back. I'd also be interested to see an o2 housing that's had the divider between the two paths ported out so as to be compatible with the above exhaust housing.

That could very well be true. From the times I have done that to help with boost creep I found it work really well. It works way better than using a bigger flapper. Don't get me wrong the bigger flapper works at keeping boost low. But when you want to turn the boost up the the bigger flapper gets blown open. Making it hard to run much more than 22-24psi.

ktmrider

^^ There is a bunch of info on the Scoobaru websites about the non-divided housings. Theory is the turbulence causes slower or inconsistent spool.
Perrin makes a DP with an extended divider ( similar to the one in our stock EM to turbo ) plus an extended tubular WG port that helps with laminar airflow in the DP. Their dyno info shows improvement in spool of around 500rpm, both with and w/o a cat.
Downside was an increase in boost spiking but creep was negligible.

dsmless

I had a housing ported like that also, works very well, helped the 16g spool quicker but also gave it a very distinct kinda mad whistle sound, very cheep and easy mod you could do

John has been relocated to a retirement home, and his PC has been replaced with a scrabble board... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

i have yet to encounter boost creep on my e16g.. but then again i do have a JMF tublar o2 housing and the 3in turbo back exhaust. If i ever do, this seems like deffently a sure fire way to beat the creep!

prove_it

belize1334 your right about turbulence where the paths merge. With this ported the everything still merges at the downpipe. the wastegate and exhaust still flow out the o2 housing the same way, except now you've put a hole between the outlets. It improves scavenging at high exhaust speeds, and also allows more exhaust flow when the wastegate is closed. When the wastegate is closed the turbine exhuast can go through the wastegate port, increasing spool up time. When the wastegate opens the velocity of the exhaust helps pull the dump exhaust out, which help control boost. It's like adding an x pipe in a v8 exhaust.

slugsgomoo

most turbo manufacturers have a recommended distance downstream of the turbine outlet to merge the exhaust from the turbine & wastegate.

The problem as I see it is that as the wastegate starts to come open around 9-11psi you're having turbulence go across the turbine wheel, which then of course prevents creep- at the cost of power.

I've never had a creep problem after simply porting the turbine & o2 housings properly. Personally, the fact that this solves creep, along with what the turbo manufacturers say in their lit, both point to the fact that it harms turbine flow quite substantially. I certainly wouldn't do it on my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Brianawd

Quote:
I've never had a creep problem after simply porting the turbine & o2 housings properly. Personally, the fact that this solves creep, along with what the turbo manufacturers say in their lit, both point to the fact that it harms turbine flow quite substantially. I certainly wouldn't do it on my car.

how much does it really harm turbine flow? I ask because when was still running the e316g I had a bad problem with creep. So I put a bigger waist gate flapper in. That helped a lot but it then make it so at high boost the gate was getting blown open. So I got a new stock e316g and ported the divider out of it and the o\2 housing. That fixed the problem. No more creep and I was able to run 28-29psi of boost to 6k falling to 24-25 my redline. With that set up I was able to get a best of 12.13@115mph. So I know the turbo was flowing good.

Last edited:

turbowop

This is like the argument about having a wastegate setup on one runner of the exhaust manifold rather than the collector. In theory it's not as good, but in practice, it works just fine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned