The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

No thermostat plugs on harness - need help rewiring

Number996

Finally swapped my newly built motor into my galant. I can get the engine to crank by jumping the starter (because i think starter relay is bad) but not fire so i'm slowly addressing all my electrical problems.

All of the thermostat plugs have frayed and broken off from the wire harness. I was able to salvage an AC switch plug and Coolant temp plug; the two double prong plugs, one (II) the other (I--). I can make plugs for the two single prong connectors.

My first question is: will these plugs prevent the engine from firing if they are not wired?

My second question is: what color wires go to which plugs? The color scheme of the 6 wires from the harness for thermostat is as follows:

- x2 green wire with black stripe
- x2 yellow wire with green stripe
- blue wire with black stripe
- green wire with red stripe

My third question is: if these wires aren't hooked up could it cause the ecu to block a signal to the starter preventing the engine from cranking (this would mean that my relay is fine and thats why the engine wont crank when i turn ignition forcing my to jump the starter directly by connecting power feed on started with solenoid connector manually)?

Any help is appreciated i'm so close to getting this gvr4 back on the road where it belongs. Thanks guys

Number996

Still lookin for accurate info regarding color sheme of thermostat plugs, more spacifically the engine coolant temperature sensor. But the more pressing question i need answered regarding this problem is;

If the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (the lower T shaped plug on thermostat) is not plugged in/wired improperly, would that cause the ecu to prevent the engine from cranking?!

GSTwithPSI

NO. Disconnecting any of the sensors (or having them plugged in incorrectly) you mentioned will still allow the car to crank. I had a similar problem with my coolant sensor harness being all jacked up. Eventually, I figured it out. I'll outline exactly how, later tonight when I get home from work. For now, read here click

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
If you have any additional questions, pm me your phone number and I'll walk you thru a few simple tests to ensure everything gets hooked up correctly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned